Thread: PPE laying in

Forum Member

Default PPE laying in

When dropping a line at the hydrant, what are you wearing for PPE. Are you in the wear my full gear (including SCBA) since you're going to be going to work right away? Or do you wear something less?
    Several of our more senior guys insist that we don't wear SCBA while catching a hydrant. The reasoning, you're going to be more tired out wearing everything and then hoofing it to the scene. I must add that we are in a hilly area where a 600ft lay may have an increase in elevation of 100ft.
    I'm all for wearing everything including SCBA, since I want to go right to work as soon as I arrive on scene.
    Let's hear your thoughts on this one.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RTB

Stay low, keep pushing in, and stay safe.

Forum Member

I realy feel that it is a personal choice. If your packs are in the seatbacks wear it, if there in the compartment why not wait
    let me know if im not clear

pat

Matter of convenience. Being ready to rock already is favorable, but if as you say it would be a pain to hump it all the way to the scene it would be counterproductive. Probably if it would suck to walk distance X, you should have enough time to pack up while driving distance X. But a short lay it would be better, I think, to be ready to go...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Let the driver lay it out, next engine picks up. Everyone else already in SCBA. IF a big crew or a trained probie, drop the extra off and leave them SCBA or not.

If I'm already packed out and my assignment gets changed to hydrant man, I take the 15 secs. to dump off my pack and head off the truck to my new assignment. Our dept sends 3 engines, 1 truck comp,1 rescue vehicle to structure fires, that all reach the scene in approx 10 mins or less, so it is rare that the hydrant man has to hump it back to the scene and bust his rump to get repacked to go in immediatly. He will in all likelihood now become part of the RIT group but as we know in the fire service everything can change in a moments notice so we still try to anticipate what might be expected of us.

Thread Information