Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Piercing Nozzle questions...

Our dept. is considering buying a Piercing nozzle for use in a ever growing mobile home park. What length have you found to work the best 3' or 6'? How does this work with AFFF?
    Thanks, for all replys.

Forum Member

Hmmm. Interesting thought. Not practicle though. A mobile home with burn from end to end in 11 minutes with no fire load. There are windows and doors to access the fire through. A piercing nozzle is used to affect fire extinguishment when entry to the fire is too difficult or dangerous to accomplish.
    Attics, basements and compartment fires come to mind. The tip of the nozzle has to be long enough to go through the outer and inner walls and or ceiling. As far as AFFF is concerned, it wont work. That foam has to be aerated. Could you have meant class a faom?

Eyecue,the nozzle is just a thought by our members. They are not very confident in the "lightweight" construction of the trailers. I did have a brain-cramp on the AFFF thing though. As for the length i am leaning towards a 6'.i'd like to have it on a crosslay preconnected anyone else do this?

We have the 6'. I havn't used it on a trailer fire but have thought about it. These things produce a great amount of steam and anyone inside will suffer. Trailers are built very cheep as is anything built to HUD standards. Floors weaken rapidly with minimal water, have many "privates" hurt when personnel step thru the floor. You must have a lot of these things to even consider placing it on a pre-connect.

Banned

We use 3, 6, 9 and 12 footers. AFFF works just fine with them as does CAFS.

-- Work OK for trailers. Like eyecue said, they burn fast. Still piercing nozzles will knock down in the right situation, plus the work well on overhaul after the walls and roof have collapsed down.

-- AFFF foam is specifically designed to work WITHOUT aeration. AFFF stands for Aqueous Film Forming Foam (not sure if I spelled Aqueous) right. It works by forming a FILM over the surface of the burning oil.

Aeration helps by allowing the foam to be pushed over the burning fuel in a more "gentle" manner, allowing the film to form, and a foam blanket will continue to replinish the film.

However most of the effect of AFFF is from the formation of the thin film on top of the burning product, and for that even regular nozzles used gently can accomplish it.

If you really want to have some fun, take a piercing nozzle hooked up to a CAFS system to a balloon frame structure with the fire making a run in the walls. Fill the voids with CAFS. No more fire extension
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

The "Flamefighter" brand has a removable tip, so you can attach an extension. Ours has worked well.

They work great for "under hood" car fire too. No need to get close and try to open hood, just ram it through a headlight or through the grille and rad.
    Barry Friesen, Captain
    Altona Emergency Services
    Manitoba, Canada

BB

A piercing nozzle has thousands of uses such as getting behind hard to move objects, into wall spaces, eave and cornice spaces, and engine compartments. Remember all those piles of ash and embers to rake through to extinguish the hot spots such as the one behind the washer or fridge or getting into and behind the cabnets of the burned out kitchen? Excellent place for a piercing nozzle.
    We have a 3 footer, but I really like the idea of the extention nozzle. The shorter one would be great for use in overhaul with the 6 footer better for initial attck.

Good Luck

Firehose

We use both the 3' and 6' lengths. The 3' is preconnected, and gets used a lot. The 6' is used for the taller ceilings, etc. We have used it on mobile home fires, it works pretty good. I have used it a lot on engine compartment fires a lot....works outstanding.

Thread Information