Default Firefighter Accountibility

Hello All, I need your help...I need an accountibility program. We are using the typical tag system, alas it is not working well. Our Fire Chief is not crazy about this system. Do you have any differnt ideas? Call me or e-mail me with suggestions.
    Thank you...
    Damon Jones-Training Officer, Fulton County Fire Department, Atlanta, Georgia
    404-762-4131 or 404-392-1590
    Jones8532@aol.com

I would also like to hear of other dept. systems. I not sure of the name of our particular system. Each person is issued three small velcro paltes with there name dept. letters and title. We carry them under the brim of our helmet. At the beginning of the shift we place two of them in our assigned apparatus. One on the red tag and one on the white tag. These tags has the vehicle # enscribed on it. On incidents other than a "typical" EMS call you deliver the white tag to the appropriate person on scene. For us it is the IC. If command is being passed initially the pump operator is the designated accountability officer. There is a small command board in the pumper to place the assigned personell to the appropriate assignments. This is ussually were our system fails. Most often the pucks get passed of and go into someones pocket. Or even placed on the board. But Each individuals location is not necessarily kept track of. If we were made of money I think one of those electronic tracking systems that activate when each person arive on the scene would be great.

Forum Member

Passport system, ID tags, bells and whistles, non of them will work without training and dedication. The ID tags will tell who is on the unit , but you must have someone responsible for keeping track of where the units are working within the structure. My suggestion is to use whatever system you have even on the smallest calls so it becomes second nature and maybe the system will work when the s*** hits the fan and you desperately need it. Just because a system is expensive does'nt mean it will work.

Any accountability system takes training and attitude changes to be the least bit effective. We use the passport system and we have modified it to meet our needs. I have the passport tags incorporated into our command board. It is set up in such a way that any commander can stand back and see who is there and what they are doing. Remember, accountability is knowing who is there, where they are located, and what is thier task at hand. There are many ways to accomplish this and no system is right or wrong. You just need to find what is right for you department and better yet, your region. I can send you some pics if you want of our system.

Forum Member

For those of you looking for a simple accountability system that works, check out the Clemens Personnel Accountability System
    @ www.fire-rescueoutfitters.com, click the accountability link.

This system can be custom tailored to meet the individual needs of YOUR dept. whether you have 20 or 200 FF's all at a price you can afford.

It offers 2 styles of tags including laminated with the dept. patch, name & town screenprinted, medical info sealed inside (patented feature) & space for a photo ID. There's also engraved tags with just the dept. & FF's name. Both styles are offered in a choice of 6 colors allowing you to color code interior/exterior FF's, "probies" specialty teams (dive, RIT, etc.), & more.

Apparatus collector rings as well as simple
    yet effective collection & tracking boards are available. Best of all, ALL components of the system are sold separately - buy only what YOU need for YOUR dept's needs!!

The Clemens PAS is very popular throughout the US - ask your fellow FF's in surrounding depts. - they're surely using it or have heard good things about it.

Hope this helps you all out. Good luck in finding a suitable system that meets YOUR needs. Stay Safe!!

Forum Member

So you want accountability?

Grace T-Pass, a piece of plexi and a grease pencil is all you need.

The T-Pass tells you who is there and what there status is, it alarms at command if the PASS goes into alarm so you know instantly if you have a FF down and it does a PAR every 15 seconds without bothering anybody.

Use the plexi and the grease pencil to track who is where and you've got the ultimate in accountability.
    www.graceindustries.com
    www.gvfd.org

Thread Information