Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Scenario: 418 Main Street

Well, after 7 years in the corporate world, I finally have a window seat. Not much of a view -- mostly an alley, the bus stop plaza in front of Worcester City Hall, and 718 Main.

However, 718 is a very interesting building to look at, and think about fire scenarios in. While downtown, it's size and shape could find it on any Main Street, USA.
    =================

Fire Alarm to...718 Main, 718 Main reported fire. Time Out 1205 hours.

Fire Alarm to units responding, we're taking calls on 718 Main.

Corner of Main & Pleasant. Main is "ALPHA" side, Pleasant forms "BRAVO"

BTW, when I was taking these pics, I noticed two major features that affect structural intergrity of the building in a fire in a big way -- what are they??? (And I may not have noticed all...)

Alley forming the "CHARLIE" side. There is a 2 -- 2.5" FDC here.

Pearl Street "DELTA" side

...Fire Alarm to units responding to 718 Main, taking a call of a person trapped. Caller reports there at the front of 718 Main, on the 4th floor.

OK folks:
    -- What do you have responding on your first alarm (use your department, or whatever you like...)
    -- What's your initial size-up report?
    -- Any additional resources needed?
    -- What actions do want to see taken?
    -- If your the engine officer, what hose and how long?
    -- If your the Chief, where are you putting units?
    -- Whatcha ya gonna do?

I'll leave this pretty free to answer -- take the role of the Chief if you like, or an Engine officer, or a Ladder officer, or whatever!

Play hard, have fun, stay safe.
    Matt

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Dalmatian90 ]
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

OK, here's my shot in the fire pot: first: structure problems: fire escapes on "C" could cause collapse problems later, 2) lower floor appears to be of a different construction material than the upper floors, could be cause for concern later if "it goes wrong" real bad. Also, the upper facia (2nd floor and up) is it brick painted or is is brick/plaster or some other material - could also cause problems if things get real hot inside.
    Now for the fun stuff: Mutual Aid for a ladder truck, our hall doesn't have one. try to get the PT off the 4th floor ASAP. and start getting a crew(s) from the bottom up to attack on the lower floor. This is likely also the main iginition point too - just a guess but the fire could have exetended through ventilation into the other area. With any luck local PD has done something with the traffic flow, looks pretty hairy during the day.
    Oh and since I am a "Yellow Hat", hopefully someone with more training and experience will come along real soon and make sure what I've done so far was good and show me the way to getting this one finished with quickly and safely.

By the way, Dalmatian, this is a good scenario. Nice job with the graphics.

One last thing:
    Play safe y'all, Cheers from Malahat FD.
    Malahat27: "Play safe y'all."

Dal...I'll be the first due fire officer. Our response to a first alarm is 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, The Rescue and a command vehicle.

Due to the size of the building, which is 150' by 100' and of ordinary construction, I'd strike the second and third alarms, which brings in another Engine and Ladder from my Department and mutual aid companies. Fire Alarm would then put dispatching the third alarm and up companies with District 14 control.

I know from the photos and pre-planning that the fire escapes for the C-side and the neighboring building are interconnected. The "diamond" shapes on the fire building are steel tie rods that help hold the building together. If these tie rods are exposed to fire, they can elongated and cause a collapse...bringing down the exposure on the C-side with it! Since the fire appears to be concentrated on the A side, the exposure problem at this time is minimal...however..the same tie rod construction method is a potential collapse hazard in the front of the building!

It appears that we can get adequate aerial coverage from 3 sides..A, B and D. The first due truck would take the A side, raise the stick to the 4th floor and rescue the occupant...then reposition and vent the roof with a trench cut to keep the fire from spreading. It appears that the fire is on two floors. The second due truck would set up on the B or D side, depending on it's approach and assist in making the trench cut. The FD connection on the C side would be tapped into...high rise packs would be taken in, simultaneous search and rescue and fire ops would take place on the fire floors. The Deputy is here, and I'll gladly relinquish command!

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Also, the upper facia (2nd floor and up) is it brick painted or is is brick/plaster or some other material

Ah! I was looking at it today and I knew something didn't look right!

The "BRAVO" side of the building, with the mansard roof, looks to be one building; the center part is another. The roofs and window sills are different. While both those sections are now tied together with the iron rods Gonzo spotted, I was befuddled by the lack of the "line" in the brick to indicate seperate work. It's just a facia! Now I understand!

BTW, there is still another hazard I see. So we have a facia that may fall off, iron tie rods that may (will?) fail, and...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Dal,
    What is the large object on that appears to be an air handling unit on the roof, visible from side Bravo? If it is in fact a large air handling unit then the roof also has a load on it which could affect the structural integrity of the fire building.

If this were to happen in Lewiston NY, initial alarm response would be 2 engines and command (we dont have any aerials) having pre-planned the structure automatic mutual aid would call for two aerials from mutual aid, along with two additional engines to start with. I will stick with what I know and be captian of first arriving engine. First arriving truck would use the stick to make the rescue on side Alpha then go to the roof, Second in truck would go to the roof. First engine on scene would stretch a line and using 1000 gal tank begin search/ rescue, second engine hits the FDC and supplies the first engine. The crew from the second engine grabs a second line off of the first engine. By then one of the chiefs should be there to assume command.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Lewiston2Capt ]

Yep Lewiston, it is a very large air conditioner. And that was the other hazard I saw!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Pretty good one Dalm. OK here we go...

1st alarm brings 2 Engines, 1 Tower, 1 Rescue and the Command (Chief). Upon further info from dispatch a 2nd alarm would be struck by the command while units are in route. This would bring a mirror of our 1st alarm (our 2nd Tower, 3rd Engine, 1 MA Rescue, 1 MA Engine, 1 BLS, then 1 MA Engine and 1 MA Truck to transfer).

1st alarm units:
    Eng 1: on BC corner, hit hydrant and FDC, while crew takes high rise pack onto 3rd division.

Eng 2: on AD corner, hit hydrant, if multiple stairwell w/o FDC support, run leader line to 4th division with high rise pack...basically in charge of 4th division suppression

Trk 1: AB corner, split crew a) focus on victim b) S&R 4th division

Resq 1: split crew a) S&R 3rd division b) 360 of building for hazards (start vent, assist eng crews, assist S&R, ladder building whatever is needed)

2nd alarm units: One unit would have the distinction of the RIT and others assigned by command officer depending on progress of the fire.

That is something basicly in a nut shell...

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: jizumper-5 ]
    Keep Safe!

Thread Information