MembersZone Subscriber

Default 5 minute intervals

I read an article in some fire magazine but cant seem to locate it again. The article was about a dept (?) that had its dispatchers contact the IC every 5 (or 10) minutes asking for a progress report. I know that FDNY routinely did this. But the recent article was full of good points. Does anyone know either the magazine issue OR the dept it was writen about?
    Thanks
    Mark McLees, District Chief
    Syracuse FD

In our area IC's are notified in 20 min. increments untill the fire is under control. This is done I belive to refocus the IC to the question where is this incident going, what more do I need, are the crews getting tired. These are just my thoughts.

Stay Safe

Chief, I read that same article, don't remember exactly what magazine that was in, It was in referance to the "Twenty Minute Mark"
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Well - I didn't read the article, but 51truck_k's remark about the "20 Minute Mark" jogged my brain and I remembered the 20 Minute MARC

MARC = Member Accountability Report Check

I did a quick web search with Altavista and turned up a few interesting links among which were : http://www.homestead.com/freeportfire/MARCsystem.html

http://9-1-1magazine.com/magazine/19...umns/fire.html

Hope this at least gets you closer to what you were looking for.

Take Care -Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: N2DFire ]
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Chief McLees, I read a similar article in Fire Rescue Magazine earlier this year which is the one I think you're looking for. It was about the 20 minute MARC used by Montgomery Cty., PA - it was written by one of their local deputy chiefs who's also a county instructor (Greg Jacubowski
    - spelling?). Hope this helps you out.

Stay Safe. Thanks, Tom

The article that I think you are looking for is in the October, 2000 of Fire-Rescue Magazine on page 47. I saw this post yesterday and tyoday ran across the article by accident while looking thru some old magazines here at work.

Try Fire Engineering (Oops can I say that here?) Or Firehouse Magazines from 1997-1999. The article that I saw covered the St. Louis Fire Department's method. I will try to look for that article when I get home and get back to you.
    Plainfield Fire Communications does not currently have a policy on MARCs.
    "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Lackawanna County, Pa dispatchers (some of them) ask for status reports until the incident is deemed under control. The times appear random from our end, but I imagine they have a formal policy they use. Even though the system is not used consistently by all dispatchers, it is a good idea to keep the officers on scene thinking about what progress they are making. It is easy for officers to get wrapped up in details and lose track of time. The dispatcher questioning the status makes the officer see the whole picture of what is going on and give a report. I know this is getting away from the specific question you asked, but I just wanted to remind everyone not to reach the point in an incident where you "Can't see the forest, for the trees". Be aware of the situation, what has happened, what is happening, and what you think should happen next. Stay Safe

Depending on the dispatcher, and especially on how busy they are, serious fires & auto accidents get a quick, "Your now 10 minutes into your incident...your now 20 minutes into your incident...etc" every 10 minutes.

No status reports to dispatch or anything, but they do help the officers keep a sense of time. The 10 minutes are from the time of the 911 call.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

We use the 20 minute mark system here, whenever the IC calls a working fire, the dispatcher sets a timer, until he`s told that the scene is under control. Every 20 minutes..."Dispatch to *Insert IC here*, you`ve reached your 20 minute mark, is everyone accounted for?"

Even if we`re not at a fire, but something odd where we`re out for a while, the dispatcher`s check up on us, they do that even more for the medics.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know of the article your speeking of however my department practices PAR Checks (Personnel Accountibility Checks) every 5 or 10 minutes. Durring these times he will ask each engine company(LT.) if they are Par.

That's all I have to say.

Be safe.

Forum Member

Our fireground radio operators are directed to provide 10 minute notifications to the IC.
    Ex., 'Communications to Command 1, incident duration 10 minutes' (20, 30, etc) until the IC advises to discontinue the notification. The initial accountability check is slated at the 20 minute incident duration mark.

The 20 min MARC, came about shortly after the multi line-of-duty death in Hackensack NJ. A small urban FD, just outside of Porland OR, responded to a fire in Toy Manufacturing Plant. Construction was your typical Type II Non-Combustible, with a Bowstring truss roof. Due to sufficient Pre-Incident Planning, the "IC" was aware as to the construction hazard. He requested the dispatcher to notify him in 10 min. incriments, so he would have a better felling as to when to pull offensive operation out of the building.

After the fire, American Heat, did a production on it, and should effective it was for dispatch centers to jog the memory of incident commanders by giving there a MARC.

Other variations of this have now been started by fire departments cross county. Incriments anywhere from 10-20 minutes are used. Some focus on this mainly as a PAR, (Personnel Accountabilty Report), check. I however believe that this is relevant to many factors on the fireground. (I.E. Building collapse, Accountability, Foam Application, Fire Flow calculations, Tanker / Tender shuttles) All in all, if your department's communication center has not yet implemented this action, I strongly advise looking into it!!

Thread Information