Forum Member

Default Whats your "blitz line"?

What do you carry as a "big gun" aside from your deck gun? I,m interested in hearing what your weapon of choice is on those Ya all come fires is!!
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

We don't have a gun on our dept. We use 2 1/2" for big lines. We have what we call a "blitz pack" on our 2 pumpers that's 2 100' sections of 1 3/4" lines on a gated wye fed with a 2 1/2' from the bed.

Stay Safe

On my department's first out for structure fires, we carry a TFT blitzfire with 400' of 3" in a dead lay. It's new to us and we haven't really used it for anything other than training yet. So far, we are very happy with the results we've had with our set up. It allows us to pull off as much 3" as we need and connect to the rear discharge that the blitzfire is mounted next to. Our second out carries the same hose lay but with a TFT 2 1/2" automatic nozzle. The guys don't seem to like the big line as much as they do the portable monitor, but I believe that it's good to have the option in case we need it. Hope this answers your question.
    Uh Oh, not again!!

Forum Member

Capt. Clay-

Do you use stack tips or fog nozzle on your monitor?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 2 1/2" preconnect with a Vindicator Blitz attack. It can flow in the 400's without a problem, and it is very moble and easy to handle.

MembersZone Subscriber

All our 1 3/4" preconnects have TFT Handlines (70-350gpm) and if we need anything bigger than that, we grab the 200' 2 1/2" with a gated Elkhart Stinger.

Eventually I would like to see:
    -Replace 1 3/4" with 2" using TFT Dual-Force (70-250) tip and a 1 1/4" (possibly 1 3/8") stub tip.

-2" (easier to advance) or 2 1/2" (lower EP's) with a TFT Blitzfire (Max-Force 175-500gpm tip)

-3" with TFT Crossfire (Master Stream 150-1,250gpm tip)

dazed and confused

My department purchased a TFT Blitzfire and the training we have done with it makes me think it was a great investment.

This takes all the hard work out of safely flowing big water. We keep ours mounted on the back of an engine, preconnected to 200' of 2.5".

Hopefully we'll get a couple more.

Oh and we have ours setup with stacked tips. The combination nozzle is kept in a compartment.
    Last edited by Resq14; 05-24-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

911-WACKER, At this time the Blitzfire has a fog tip. The second out has the deck gun with 4 stacked tips. Due to money restraints we went with one portable monitor on one truck and a deck gun on the other. When we get the cash to do it, we plan on equipping each truck with a deck gun and portable monitor. Right now, in theory, if we need the stack tips on the Blitzfire, we can grab them off the deck gun when the second engine arrives. My question to the powers that be was, what happens when we need stacked tips on both, etc.? Oh well, next budget year isn't too far off!
    Uh Oh, not again!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The blitz line in my dept. is 300' of 3" preconnected line. It is connect to a deckgun with stack tip nozzle. We also have 600' of 3" dead lay if more line is needed.

HFD-Clanger....I hope you are not thinking that you are getting 350 gpm from a 1 3/4.

MembersZone Subscriber

200' of 2 1/2 with an 1 1/8 smooth bore nozzle. Big fire-Big water.
    "Never trust a smiling dog"
    Delaware F.O.O.L. FTM-PTB-EGH

Forum Member

200' of 2" hose with a Vindicator Blitz should be able to get 400 to 425 gpm real easy. The 2" is real easy for one firefighter to deploy.

Forum Member

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I'm looking for some options to try during training for big water situations.

Big Paulie- I can agree with 2" becouse its easy to handle, but as much as I like the concept of 2" would you agree that a 2 1/2" or 3" would be more versatile in the big water situations? 1 man can operate a 3" line with master stream nozzle at flows from 500-750 gpms without much trouble, would you agree?

Forum Member

We have a 200' section of 2 1/2" preconnected with a play-pipe with an Akron Fog nozzle attached. We deply this frequently on structures that are havily involved upon arrival to darken the fire while we establish a sustained water supply.

Pretty much a defensive attack with the hopes of saving whatever is left when we get on the scene.

Another configuration I have seen around here is what they call a "'Cisco Load" where you have 200' of 3" pre-connect with a gated wye at the end. On the wye you have two 100 foot sections of 1 3/4" connected with fog nozzels at the end. This is all tied together so that you can deply the entire load and extend it deep into a large building or stretch it to the back of a structure and put two lines in service.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Right now we are using one of several configurations. Some rigs have 200ft preconnected 2-1/2 with a TFT Blitzfire. Several rigs have same hose lay with a "Big Paulie" nozzle. Both configurations give us the ability to hit the fire heavy from a location other than the street, which we can cover with a deckpipe. All Eng co's have pre-piped guns on them. Have used both types of blitz lines numerous times with very good results, especially on fires in close-set buildings.

MembersZone Subscriber

In our department we have 200' of 2 1/2" preconnected with a vindicator blitz tip, we call it the commerical line, our 1 3/4" lines are called residential. Stay safe God Bless.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Bobby Halton ]

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Bobby Halton ]
    May the Good Lord hold you all safe in the palm of His loving hand till next we meet.

Forum Member

On the tailboard of each engine is 200' of preconnected 3" with an Elkhart Stinger and a fog head, with a set of stacked tips close by. The engines also have a permanent mount deck gun up top, fog head installed and stacked tips mounted right next to them. If we get a house off with exposure problems on the B and D sides, four firefighters can lay a line and put 500 gpm on each exposure in pretty short order between the two guns. We keep the fog heads on them as they are a little better at wetting down exposures than the smooth bore.

Two new engines being built right now will have TFT Blitzfires in place of the Stingers (lighter, easier to manuver, and have shutoffs on them), and the deck guns will be remote controlled so nobody has to get on top of the apparatus to put them into service.

The truck (Sutphen tower, 2000 gpm pump, 800' of 5") carries an Apollo portable gun with a single 5" inlet to supplement the pair of guns on the bucket. Not as fast to get in service, but makes for some big water when you need it.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

In my department the only type of blitz line that we would use would probably be the 3" line conected to a monitor from the back of our engine.

Forum Member

Wink

Getting hose off my pumper is like having to climb Mt. Everest without a rope. We have 100'of 2 1/2" bundled together with a automatic fog/stream nozzle. It sits on top of another 200' of 3" we can use to stretch it farther if needed.

Our three engines and the quad all carry a 300' 2" with a TFT adjustable nozzle on them. Two engines have deck guns and monitor bases, the quad also has a deck gun and bases but it also carries a TFT Blitzfire preconnected to 500' of 2 1/2" it works on the drop and go theory. The first out engine only carries the 300' 2" because it's a combi Engine/Areial so when they take the building and block the truck we can climb over them. We also make have what we call five packs which are basically sections of 2 1/2" with gates on them so we can run multiple 2 1/2"'s off of them.
    "A 4x4 **** son plywood comes in bigger sheets than that make that hole bigger boy" There are those out there that know what I mean!!!!!!

Banned

We have 13 preconnected Blitz fires, one per rig to support our ladder pipes and deck guns, with either 2" or 2 1/2" hose, we peg the gun at 500 gpm, when we over pump it the gun takes off and the built in valve shuts it off.

Our blitz line is 200' of 3 inch hose connected to a stinger that can either use a fog tip or a smooth bore tip depending on the size of the job at hand. We carry 1 of these on each of our engines.

The7Tower? (Larry Stevens!)

Nice Try Larry! Keep up the deception, your fooling no one!
    Kirk Allen
    First Strike Technologies, Inc

District Chief

Any one ever consider the TFT Blitzfire for a blitz line???

It weighs 22 pounds and will flow between 100-500 GPM at 100PSI nozzle pressure on a 3" line. One person...thats right.....count em...1 can put the line in service and be flowing 500 gpm in 90 seconds... It can be managed by 1 person because it sets on the ground and has a safe mechanism in the event it moves.

200' of 3" with a blitzfire....SWEET...

Look at it on line at <a href="http://www.tft.com" target="_blank">www.tft.com</a> and contact your dealer for a demo.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

We use 200' of 2 1/5" with solid tips on all our rigs. Use it well for quick knockdown and initial line on comercial structures. Anything bigger we just put the tower ladder at the front door.

Thread Information