Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Akron Saberjet

Forum Member

Default Akron Saberjet

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has tested or currently uses the new Akron Saberjet nozzle. We're starting to put together the equipment list for the new quad we've ordered. Since we need to buy some new nozzles anyway, we're interested in the possibility of substituting this (or a similar) type of combination nozzle for one or more of our Turbojets or straight bores on this rig, or on both this rig and our telesquirt.

I've looked at Akron's site to get the specs, flow capabilities, etc. What I'd like to get now are the opinions of those of you who have actually used them, either in controlled situations or in the field:

What advantages or disadvantages do you feel that there would be to using these nozzles instead of traditional fogs and/or straight bores? Do these depend on in particular situations or applications?

If you like them, would you load up all the lines on a given rig with just these nozzles, would you still have a few lines with either traditional fog or straight nozzles on them, or how would you set up your rig? Why?

If you don't like them, what went wrong or what didn't appeal to you? Do you believe it's a problem with combination nozzles in general or Akron's in particular?

Any input from users or evaluators of this equipment would be appreciated. Thanks!

We've tested the Saberjet nozzle at our department. It seems to be a nice idea, we just couldn't see replacing any existing nozzles with it. If we break one or need to add one, we probably will. The hardest thing to get used to us the fact that when you open the bale you get a straight stream. You have to turn the head of the nozzle to turn on and operate the fog streams. That just takes getting used to. One of the nicer things about it is that you can use a fog pattern and the straight stream at the same time. That might be helpful if you were trying to keep yourself cool and fight fire at the same time. The stream is shortened a little when you do that, but not a great deal. As for the price, they are comparable with the Akron Turbojet nozzles at about $500 or so. I hope this helps.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: jab1415 ]
    J. Adam Berry
    Deputy Chief
    Griffith Fire Department

Sounds like another idea by a major nozzle manufactuer to con departments into replacing equipment that doesn't need replacing.

Thread Information