Post SOP for long angled peaked roofs.

I am posting this topic, to obtain opinions on what different department SOP's are, when it comes to vertical ventilation on peaked roofs, which are longer than that of the typical 14' roof ladder. I have witnessed several methods, comparing those to that which my department currently uses. I have yet to find one which I feel is remotly safe. Obviously FF & Life safety is still our number 1 priority, as is with any operation we perform on the firegrounds. So I would like to hear from everyone out there. Hopefully everyone can learn something from this discussion. Thank you.

John on steep roofs we use three roof ladders. The first two go over the peak about 8' apart. The third ladder goes across the first two about 8' to 10' down from the peak forming an H. We either work off the ladders or work inside the H. This has worked well and prevents someone from falling off the roof. The first cut made is along the peak then along the ladders. Try it it is a lot safer and it does not take much more time to set up. To fasten the three ladders you can use a chain or cable with fastener. Capt. Shade

Lightbulb

John,<br /> I've seen this done quite a few way and the one I liked the most utilized 2 roof ladders. The problem at hand seems to be getting a 14 ft. roof ladder to hook on the the peak of a roof with a run greater than 14 ft. A ladder truck works great hhear but you may not be able to use on all of the time. So, using a Halogen bar and driving the Ads (pointed) end into the roof provides a great step, also I've cut small 8 inch buy 8 inch squares in to the roof bassicly cutting a ladder into the roof far enuff to get the Roof ladder to grab the peak. Once you get the first ladder grab the peak, take the second ladder and slide it up the roof and the end of the first ladder to and grab a rung. It works quite well. As for how steep the roof is thats really where using a hallogan bar for an extra step comes in hanndy. Good luck and let me know what you come up with.
    Lt. Stanley Karwoski, Jr.
    Manor Vol. Fire Dept.

Forum Member

We carry a 25' roof ladder on our ladder truck which works on most long peaked roofs.Outside of that it's a 100'hydraulic.T.C.

Lightbulb

The safest way will be ladder or tower ops. Best is to recognize the hazard in a pre-plan and have a dedicated truck co. due on those boxes.
    Keep Safe!

These sound like some good Ideas. Striking a tool into the roofs decking for footing works real well. Make sure you know the roofs construction, many people are lost in the idea that a roof ladder works on truss construction, it doesnt, there is no ridge board at the top. A roof ladder may disperse your weight, but is designed to be supported by the ridge board and outside wall, so mainly the use on long roof runs is for footing. Anyhow, this is a good question topic, hope to see more peoples views.

Also, I dont think it is a good idea to cut small holes in decking below where you will be operating, or as part of your egress, if fire is under the roof, it will find the holes and you will be praying that you have a second way off.<br />Take care

Thread Information