Exclamation 1st set of dept. S.O.P.'s HELP

My Department recently decided to write it's firs set of S.O.P.'s. The departments been around since 1895 and for one reason or another never wrote any. Now it's becoming more of an issue in todays Fire service and they decided they should probly writre som. So...where in the hell do you start....with all that could happen.....how do you cover it all. Any help would be greatly appriciated. You can E-Mail me with with your sugestions, Stush13n5@AOL.com. <br />Thanks again.

Lt. Stan Karwoski<br /> Manor Vol. Fire Dept. Stush13n5@AOL.com
    Lt. Stanley Karwoski, Jr.
    Manor Vol. Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

<a href="http://www.cfdonline.org/sop.htm" target="_blank">http://www.cfdonline.org/sop.htm</a>

This link is to a very useful set of fire department SOPs which are categorized and searchable.

SOP use is about like anything else in the fire service. Find a Dept. similar in response area and capability of your own, copy theirs and modify it to your own use. Don't try to re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. I prefer to use SOG's instead of SOP's. I know it's really a matter of semantics, but it allows your Company Officers the some room for making decisions as opposed to making it all black and white operations. Some of the contents will have to be policies, ie... discipline, travel, and other money issues, but as far as operations go, try to stay with guidelines instead.

Forum Member

Since I wrote the entire one for our department from scratch, I can tell you that you start with scope and purpose then go to dispatch,response and tactics.

Thread Information