MembersZone Subscriber

Question Helmet goodies strap

I notice alot of FFs have garrity lights and door chocks on their helmets. What is it that is being used to hold this equipment on the helmets and where can one be purchased. Looks like a big rubber band..
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

Forum Member

Around here we use a piece of old tire inner-tube. Stop by your local tire store and ask if they have tubes for larger sedans or small trucks. Cut a cross section of the tube and viola!, helmet rubber band. Can be used to hold open panic bars in the right circumstances if you run out of wedges (you'll figure it out). <br />Cut an oval piece with holes at each end and you can strap around both door knobs on older doors to prevent the door from latching (not much call for these anymore). <br />The rubber bands will also hold a set of irons together nicely...
    See You At The Big One

thefirestore.com also sells a "Wack Pack" which includes the rubber strap, garrity light and two door chocks. I prefer the old do-it-yourself style though myself

I happened to find a helmet band that the army uses on their helmets with reflective trim on the back. I found it at an army surplus store for a few bucks, it works pretty good and hasn't melted off like rubber tends to.
    I would...but no!

The inner tube method workss, but u can get the whole thing: band, light,and door chocks from thefirestore.com/ and its in the helmet accessories section and as said above is called the "wack pack"
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

i found a big rubber band at a firefighter store in manchester ct called the finest and bravest (www.thefinestandbravest.com it looks the same but its just a big rubber band, i paid 4.50 for it

Thread Information