Thread: Wet Rescues

Jake
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Wet Rescues

Should Rescues have pump capabilities?

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hmmm....
    Not a bad idea...but depends on your own situation.
    We carry about 6 - 2.5 gallon pressurized water cans with AFFF mixed in. May not seem like a lot, but you can do a lot of incipient firefighting with it! Unless you're standing in a pool of gasoline, you'll probably be able to handle anything that starts on you!
    Matt

RES3QUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I dont think that having rescues getting involved in pumping is a good idea...In NYC when we ( the rescue co's) are at a scene and the fire is under control and the primary and secondary searches are done we are released...If you start getting these units involved in pumping operations they will be held on the scene much longer than is necessary..Thats not what they were designed for..Need another engine? Call one.I feel the same applies for Ladder co's..You have a truck co start pumping to handlines and the ability to move that apparatus during the course of a firefight is lost.That "truck" is now tied up doing engine work...

Richard Benkwitt
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your having manning problems it is a solution at vehicle fires. A neighboring FD has a 250 GPM pump (to small in my opinion for safety) for miscellaneous use. I don't see the need, as the pump jacks the price up and takes away usually much needed space. But to each FD's needs, they must decide the best for their own area. FDNY has plenty of manpower and would not see the manning problem. My volunteer dept doesn't have a critical manning problem, so I would not put a pump on a rescue.

squadee
    Firehouse.com Guest

RES3QUE, I AGREE WITH YOU 100 %
    rescue companies should not have pump
    ing ability, do to the special jobs and tasks
    we must face we must be available to quickly pick up from one job and start in to another without being botherd with disconnecting and packing hose. i would
    appreciate any info you could send me on
    job assignments and s.o.ps of your rescue
    company we currently operate with 4 to 5
    firemen in our unit per tour. thanks tony sq

RESCUEDOG FDNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Res3que-While I do agree with you relating to NYC and other similar tasked Rescues, I feel your not taking into considersation the fact that, Nation-Wide not all Rescues are set-up for the same purposes. In NYC where we have a comparable abundance of Units, this is a fact, however in McCall Idaho, they need all the mutual aid they can request, and the Units are mult-tasked!-----Jon P. Thomas-----Sq4-R2-R5-Ret.

RES3QUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Squadog.point well taken.!!!!

RES3QUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sorry....rescuedog.....pardon me. )

squadee
    Firehouse.com Guest

RES3CUE, HELLO I LOST YOUR
    E-MAIL ADDRESS IF YOU WOULDN'T
    MIND I'D LIKE TO SEND ONE YOUR WAY. THANKS TONY

RESCUEDOG FDNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Res3cue-pardon is not necessary, I'm no expert, and like everyone else, I tend to lose the Big Picture--"NATIONWIDE" not "NYC"

Ryan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Jake; Some fire departments, such as the one i'm in, cannot afford a heavy rescue or fully staff one. But somthing that does work well is a rescue pumper. It's a engine co. complete with crew cab, pump,tank,and hosebed, with rescue style compartments. You can coustomize the compartments to fit all the tools you need for your response area.I think the only downfall is the lack of walk-in cappability.... Just some food for thought..

Thread Information