Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Looking for a skeleton or outline of EAP for racetrack

I am taking a class and must figure out an Emergency Action Plan for a racetrack. I have never been to a racetrack and need some help. My project is the INDY but just an idea. I am taking a homeland security program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfrsc4 View Post
    As embarassed as I am to say it, I don't have a written lesson plan to share with anybody. What I can do is share what took place in some of our trainings in the past.
    Haveing as much equipment on hand as possible surly makes for great preparation. This would include fire extinguishers, race cars, junk cars (for cutting, and burning hands on excersizes) race car parts, in particular safety equipment. Seat restraints, steering wheels, and posts, cooling fans (for helmets), helmets to go along with that (that shows how radio wires, and cooling vents are hooked up). With the race car owner/driver/crew person, on the whole race car, they can point out the location of fuel and electrical shut offs. How the driver restraints are operated, including window nets, arm restraints, belts, etc. The more of the different classes of cars you work with, the more informed you can be before the knowledge is needed to be applied.
    Last year, we broke into smaller groups and worked stations for practicing different things. Cordless saws was one station, fire extinguishers was another, extrication, cribbing, EMS, scene safety, size up, IC, rig orientation. Then after all went through all of the stations, we set up scenarios with the two junk cars. During that time, we lit them up and had "crews" go in like it was a real response. That was probably the best training we have had in years.
    This year, we had less new personell, so we went through the stations as one big group, but accomplished just as much. This year we also left out the IC portion of the training, just to show the importance of it.
    One nice thing Speedway Fire/Rescue takes for granted is probably the same as a lot of professional Departments. We have regular crews assigned to the same rigs most of the time. As a Captain, and rig driver, when I have a different member (Probie, or just a substitute) I run them around the rig to re-aquaint them with the tool stowage and inventory at the begining of the shift.
    Like any good fire department, the ability to take knowledge and apply it to a givin situation, is invaluable. Teamwork must be stressed. The Incident Command system must be in place, and practiced. Communication is very important. But Most of all....SAFETY OF THE RESPONDER is never to be forgotten!

I have posted a brief summary of this years training on our website. Pictures will be on line soon.
    <A HREF="www.speedwayfire.8m.com" > </A>

------------------
    Roger Ellis, Capt. Speedway Fire/Rescue http://speedwayfire.8m.com
    ICQ#: 61722026

[This message has been edited by Sfrsc4 (edited March 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sfrsc4 (edited March 12, 2000).]

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tech Rescue

Doesn't the Indy Racing League have a traveling team? Anybody have any info about them?

Quote Originally Posted by techrescue View Post
    Doesn't the Indy Racing League have a traveling team? Anybody have any info about them?
    Yes they do & Yes there is
    http://www.indycar.com/tech/101/safety_team.php
    http://www.indycar.com/pro/101/safety_team.php
    http://www.indycar.com/101/safety_team.php

Traveling team of 15 persons - having worked NASCAR events before this sounded kinda low so i did more looking.

It would appear that in IRL - each race team is responsible for their own pit area fire suppression (at least at first).
    http://www.indycar.com/tech/101/pit_stop_rules.php
    Last edited by N2DFire; 03-11-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tech Rescue

Has anybody here ever worked with them? Sounds like an interesting job.

Forum Member

I just retired with 30 years on my department as a Relief Engineer at a California Type 1 & 2 station January 31st here in San Diego. I would love to be involved with a Fire/Rescue team at a track setting. California Speedway is the closest to where I live, but I'm mobil too. Thanks for any responses to this.

Stephen
    Bajahuskys@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

NHRA has the Safety Safari. They have a core group of full timers that travel and alot of part timers. You get a schedual in the winter for the next season and select the events you want to work. I usually try and work the races in PA, NJ, and VA and try to get a Vegas race also. They have 4 trucks all Chevy/GMC 3500 duallys. 1 oil down truck with some fire extinguishers, and 3 fire/rescue trucks which have coldfire exitinguisher skid units, plus various other fire extinguishers and equipment. 2 of the trucks have hurst rescue tools.

Forum Member

How does one apply for the Safety Safari? It sounds like my kind of operation and I have the freedom to travel right now. Steny

MembersZone Subscriber

I sent an email to the HR department. It's a great time. Being on the starting line when a top fueler launches is earth shaking!

Might check out these folks

http://www.trackrescue.com

I had looked into applying with them but had too many irons in the fire (still do really) but it sounds like fun.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Default Reviving our local track.

Looking for specific truck ideas. What do most folks use? What type pump? Types of extinguishers? Any pictures would be great.
    The track Im at uses an older F150 (to small) 4X4 with a 200gal tank with a small pump. We use abc extinguishers, PKP, and water. Im trying to get our track manager to buy some additives to drop in the tanks.

Our track has been closed for 2 yrs due to an asshat running it poorly. In that time all the equipment sat dormant. It took some effort to get the pumps back operating and had to do some work on the extrication tools.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Richmond International Raceway, Richmond, VA

Hey all,

Reading thru this post and everything sounds awesome! I was a volunteer at RIR in Richmond, VA for the Busch/Nextel series races in May and September for several years. Henrico Co Fire and Rescue provided more of the on track support for the raceway in addition to the RIR "Safety Staff" that do a good portion of the extrication. They use Holmatro portable rescue tools. Volunteers, like myself, did the majority of EMS/Suppression for the off track work....fans, parking lots, and camp site.
    Maybe there is someone on here that actually works for Henrico County that would be better able to provide info on what they do at RIR! I would be interested in what comes out of the meetings as to whether there will be a "national standard" or a further revising of NFPA 610.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be heading up to Maple Grove raceway for the NHRA National meet next week and I'll grab some shots of the trucks we use.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian6 View Post
    Henrico Co Fire and Rescue provided more of the on track support for the raceway in addition to the RIR "Safety Staff" that do a good portion of the extrication. They use Holmatro portable rescue tools. Volunteers, like myself, did the majority of EMS/Suppression for the off track work....fans, parking lots, and camp site.
    Good to hear from you, Guardian.

For NASCAR events, all of the on-track safety fire/extrication personnel (riding in the red track safety trucks) are employees of Henrico and Chesterfield. They perform all fire suppression & extrication that occurs. Halmatro has a truck kept next to the media center with extra tools on it if needed. The ambulances in the corners are staffed by local volunteer EMS personnel, most of them have been working the same position for 5+ years at every event.

All of the pit, infield, and garage firefighters are employees of Henrico, Chesterfield, and Hanover Counties.

Henrico Fire provides all of the fire & EMS coordination for both the inside and outside track activities. The outside activities (grandstands, parking lots, etc) for fire suppression and ALS providers come from Henrico Fire, supplemented by EMS volunteers from across the Commonwealth.

As for the IRL events (which will no longer be held at RIR), IRL brought their own on-track safety team with them, the Henrico guys were back-up for them.

Hope this helps...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Anyone else run Motorsports stuff? I am looking for any new innovations or setups for truck setups.
    Forrest B. Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue

www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org
    Elmore County,AL

Thread Information