MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Richmond International Raceway, Richmond, VA

Hey all,

Reading thru this post and everything sounds awesome! I was a volunteer at RIR in Richmond, VA for the Busch/Nextel series races in May and September for several years. Henrico Co Fire and Rescue provided more of the on track support for the raceway in addition to the RIR "Safety Staff" that do a good portion of the extrication. They use Holmatro portable rescue tools. Volunteers, like myself, did the majority of EMS/Suppression for the off track work....fans, parking lots, and camp site.
    Maybe there is someone on here that actually works for Henrico County that would be better able to provide info on what they do at RIR! I would be interested in what comes out of the meetings as to whether there will be a "national standard" or a further revising of NFPA 610.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be heading up to Maple Grove raceway for the NHRA National meet next week and I'll grab some shots of the trucks we use.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian6 View Post
    Henrico Co Fire and Rescue provided more of the on track support for the raceway in addition to the RIR "Safety Staff" that do a good portion of the extrication. They use Holmatro portable rescue tools. Volunteers, like myself, did the majority of EMS/Suppression for the off track work....fans, parking lots, and camp site.
    Good to hear from you, Guardian.

For NASCAR events, all of the on-track safety fire/extrication personnel (riding in the red track safety trucks) are employees of Henrico and Chesterfield. They perform all fire suppression & extrication that occurs. Halmatro has a truck kept next to the media center with extra tools on it if needed. The ambulances in the corners are staffed by local volunteer EMS personnel, most of them have been working the same position for 5+ years at every event.

All of the pit, infield, and garage firefighters are employees of Henrico, Chesterfield, and Hanover Counties.

Henrico Fire provides all of the fire & EMS coordination for both the inside and outside track activities. The outside activities (grandstands, parking lots, etc) for fire suppression and ALS providers come from Henrico Fire, supplemented by EMS volunteers from across the Commonwealth.

As for the IRL events (which will no longer be held at RIR), IRL brought their own on-track safety team with them, the Henrico guys were back-up for them.

Hope this helps...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Anyone else run Motorsports stuff? I am looking for any new innovations or setups for truck setups.
    Forrest B. Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue

www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org
    Elmore County,AL

Thread Information