billy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question basket stretchers

In your opinion, who builds the best basket stretcher for general use?

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

CMC's stainless steel basket with a cordura liner. Comfortable for the pt. if/when no backboard is needed, easy to use, durable, options like litter wheel, face shield.

Resc10
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, I haven't had a chance to play with CMCs' basket yet, but I promise I will. I kind of partiall to Fernoss' "plastic" stokes basket. Its light, easy to rig, fairly comfortable for the patient and pretty durable. Additionally, when compared to the older wire type stokes, I have found that the plastic basket does not have that doggone wire to deal with getting hung up on every obstacle.
    More later Resc10

firebeacon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ferno is probably one of the beat genaral purpose basket litters on the market. One must consider the inteneded uses and any apecialized applications. wrote two articles, 10/84 & 8/92 in Fire Engineering that dealth with basket stretcher uses. Should you care I can send copies to you, or contact myself should you require further info

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Both types of baskets have their merits.

The Ferno is nice for carry out type situations, but for any rope work it is basically useless. It is difficult to lash the victim into, the ferno bridle is very long and makes it difficult to set the basket out a window, since you have to then lower it manually until the bridle tensions up..this is a painful and cumbersone in some cases. The basket actually flexes once loaded which loostens up the lashing and can allow the patient to shift in it.

The CMC basket is very nice to use when doing rope work. It does not flex, the smooth rails allow easy lashing and more possible lashing points. It is durable to use and doesnt weigh alot. The steel vs. plastic issue also makes me more comfortable when using it at any elevation. The CMC adjustable bridle allows smaller profile when working in tight spaces as well.

We have both by the way.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

firebeacon
    Firehouse.com Guest

We carry recue baskets on our ladder truck and heavy rescue. The other day we had an injured worker at a construction site. He was loaded into the basket and the basket was hauled up a steep incline with the use of ropes. This was the Ferno basket, the bottom runners and plastice construction allow it to be moved over obstacles with nothing hanging up.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have worked with many different types. Ferno, CMC, generic!, etc. My favorite is also the CMC stainless steel, without leg dividers. It is the best built stokes I have found, it is relativly light, and it is easy to rig. WE have a CMC wheel to use with ours so it works very well for carry-out also. With some of the other wire baskest that I have used we did have the problem of them getting caught up on every rock, scrub, and nook, but the CMC strecther doen't seem to have this problem. The only thing I would do is purchase a square stokes next time so that more backboards would fit in it.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

AXMAN620
    Firehouse.com Guest

MOST OF MY RESQ WORK HAS BEEN WITH PLASTIC FERNO DO TO THE EASE OF RIGGING, AND ITS DURABILITY I FEEL IT IS THE BEST ON THE MARKET. AS A SIDE NOTE THE INFLATIBLR BLADDERS ON THE SIDES MAKE IT IDEAL FOR WATER WORK AND IT ALSO DOUBLES AS AN ICE SLED (FERNO DOSE NOT RECOMEND THIS EVILUTION)

------------------
    SEE YA' A'' @ THE BIG ONE!!!!!

Capt. Ed
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use both types of baskets at my district. I concur with the previous post re: a lone carryout. The Ferno does seem to handle better. However, due to more use and ability for specialized rescue ( high angle rope, helicopter short hauls) the CMC basket is superior. I may be jaded towards the CMC basket because during a class I took with them, I hung upside down 7 stories up in that same basket for about an hour. Wasn't the best ride I ever had, but the absket held up fine. Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------
    Ed Beirne, Metro West FPD

RESQ4BEN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have used all different types of baskets for rescue work. I have used the Ferno Plastic Basket and the Stokes Wire Baskets in all types of environments. My opinion is that for rescue use, the Ferno Plastic Basket is the best option. The CMC Litter Wheel fits it, I can secure patients into easily and securely, they are good for carryouts, especially easy to work with in high-angle rope work, and offer good protection for the patient. I have had very few problems with edge problems that are mentioned in other responses. I have used this basket in rough terrain, training, caves, cliffs, and industrial responses.

wofd1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

WE WENT WITH THE JUNKIN MODEL SAF-200 WHEN WE REPLACED OURS LAST YR. WE HAD THE FERNO BUT BROKE PLASTIC A COUPLE OF TIMES IN LOW ANGLE OPS. THE JUNKIN IS ALOT EASIER TO TIE IN TO AND HASN'T BEEN ANY PROBLEM YET. WE ALSO RUN WITH AN OLD WIRE BASKET AS WELL. CHECK'EM ALL OUT. STAY SAFE.

raricciuti
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have all wire-type baskets, and have had occasional problems with them getting caught on brush, window sills, ladder sheaves, etc. but they are very sturdy. There were some rumors circulating a while back about the plastic-bottom type baskets cracking and failing, especially at low temperatures. As such, we have shyed away from these to this point. Anyone have any relevant experience with this?

------------------
    R.A. Ricciuti, Firefighter
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department
    www.mtlfd.org

Thread Information