Raddelm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question HELP Rope team Qualifications

We are starting a High Angle Rope team and I am in desperate need of possible qualifications and S.O.P.'s. Want to weed the bad ones and know how to start off on the right foot. Any help would be great, especially if you could email me current qualifications or sop's. thanks

Ken Hanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

General qualifications for a rope team (IMHO):

Mechanicaly inclinded
    Ability to work as part of a team
    Willing to train long and hard
    Can take orders
    Not a "hot dog"
    Dedicated to the department and the mission of the rope team

You may want to consider hiring a company that specializes in rope rescue to present an introductory class. Spec Rescue in Virginia Beach is really good, and I'm sure there are several others. Research your trainers-don't take a class from a guy who had his first rope class a year ago and is now a self proclaimed expert.

Plan on laying out several thousand dollars to get properly trained. High angle is no place to figure to it out on your own.

After you get some training, writting your own SOP's will be pretty easy. You will know what works and does not work for your team and area.

Good luck!

Ken Hanks
    Asst. Chief
    Naugatuck FD, CT
    IAFF-L1219 www.naugatuckfireifghters.org

Techresq
    Firehouse.com Guest

The information that Chief Hanks gives you covers almost everything you need to know to start out. Look over his advise carefully! As a captain in charge of a technical rescue station and a trainer both in-house and with a business of my own that I do rope and confined space rescue training I would add a couple of things.
    First: I would check out NFPA 1670 standards for rope rescue. Decide what level you want to train to (Operation,Technician). Any company that you hire make sure that they comply to the 1670 standards. There isn't a company right now that I know of that is accreditated, but insure that they meet the standard.
    Secondly: It's called technical rescue for a reason "it's technical". Not only do you need to set aside the time and money for the initial training but you must take continuing education into account. How often are you going to train to keep up your skills. If you don't use it, you will lose it "fast"! I have seen many teams start up and not take these thing into consideration and the team fail or team members drop out because of lack of follow-up training. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any more help.
    David Gerrer
    Captain Fort Lewis Fire & Emergency Services
    Owner, Lead Instructor: Technical Training Institute www.TechTrngInst.com

Lt. Tim Leach
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We just started up our Technical rescue team in May of last year. We asked for interested volunteers to begin with and ran an elimination session to bring the number down to ten. The elimination was an acrophobia test were the candidate had to be lowered over about a 40' ledge on the rope rescue system we purchased. We also demanded a strong commitment for attendance at practices. The Chief demands we practice at least once a month for 4 hours and we require a minimum of 80% attendance. I have found that for the most part, the members of the team want to practice even more often than required. We recieved our training through the company we purchased our system from although it was not fully product specific. I agree fully with the other replies you have recieved thus far. This endeavor demands a large commitment for the members and an even larger one for the person heading it up. If you have any further questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Hamy91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Oops Double post

[This message has been edited by Hamy91 (edited November 01, 2000).]

Hamy91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

NFPA 1006 will help you in the way of certifications and qualifications required. It lays it out pretty clearly. You should look into acadamies that offer Rescue Tech or rescue opps 1 & 2 and send off some of your people.

------------------
    Hamy91

FIrefighters are the chosen people.

My views do not reflect that of my department or the United States Air Force

rsqguru
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lots of good information posted for you here. I would include that you become very familiar with NFPA 1983 and all revisions. Currently the 2000 comments are published and hopefully you can view them. NFPA 1670 is another very good document for equipment and training in all areas, and dont forget NFPA 1006. Lots to read and teach to your team. Don't rush, take time and develop a good base line and then move your people along to the more advanced skills. Check frsi.org for rope rescue sog's. Rescuetraining @minspring .com can help with training, good company with low cost.

[This message has been edited by rsqguru (edited November 01, 2000).]

RWK
    Firehouse.com Guest

As you begin your development process take into account the type(s) of high angle work you will be doing. You may have unique considerations if you do any wilderness, cave, or similar rescue work.

Standard Operating Guidelines (SOG) are sometimes better than SOPs since they tend to give you more flexibility if you need to improvise. SOPs may not (did you follow the procedure? - No - you're cooked if there is a problem).

Make sure your people learn to think on their feet/under pressure. Technical rescue is a thinking persons game - don't have people become trapped into only being able to do things one way. You may want to look at what other tech. rescue groups in your area do - if you have mutual aid agreements you will want to be able to work effectively with other agencies.

Train, train, train & train. Cross train as well. Get good instruction - try to get some recommendations from people with good teams. Keep learning & validating your methodology(s).

Just some thoughts......

Irving Rescue
    Firehouse.com Guest

You should find your answer in the responses posted here, looks like a lot of good information. You can e-mail me at RESSQU@aol.com and I'll send you a copy of the Irving Fire Dept. SOG. The main theme you should notice is train train train!!!! Our HART Team members put in as much as 250 hours a year keeping their skills honed, to the point it is second nature. Start small ,grow slow.

fyrfitr42
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello,

If you still need the information, I could send you or requirements for new team members and the evaluation which they go through.

fyrfitr42@firehousemail.com

[This message has been edited by fyrfitr42 (edited 01-01-2001).]

Thread Information