RWK
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Atlanta Cell Tower Rescue

Just curious - anyone see/hear about the cell tower rescue in Atlanta? Victim pulled off of tower via UH-60.

Comments? Issues? Experience working with helicopters in rescues? Helos from other agencies & compatible procedures, etc.? Alternatives?

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am always wary when I read of helicopter rescues/recoveries. We had a member killed in the line of duty participating in one (before my time here luckily for me).

I can't say that I have a problem with this one though. My main thing every time I read one of these stories is training. It appears that the FD with jurisdiction had no training with this type of rescue, but they did not perform it - the rangers did.

The story seems to say that they came in, reassessed the patient and took over. As long as the actual rescue is done by people that are well trained I think it's an invaluable resource.

Where we get in trouble is when we try to put untrained rescuers in the mix. It might be cool, and it might keep your people involved, but it might kill them also.

Take it from a department that knows, only those properly trained in helicopter or any kind of rescue need participate, the cemetery is full of people with big hearts and great intentions.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Forsyth Rescue Squad (Captain)
    NCTF-1
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Thread Information