Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Prefer Page 1 or 2 Be Loaded First?

Let's hear some opinions:

Since there are now several Threads that have continued on to two (or three) pages in order to accommodate all the replies, I offer the following question to the group:

Would you like the Forum to initially load the FIRST page (as happens now) OR load the LAST page (the page containing the most recent replies)?

There are pros and cons to either method, but I think most of the frequent visitors would prefer the Last Page Loads First option because it would speed up the reading of the more recent posts. I don't often re-read the old replies and find it a real bother to have to wait while page 1 loads before I can select page 2 or 3. It would really be nice if the WebTeam could copy the initial, opening post (and possibly the last post on the page) when they set up the the top of the second or third pages.

Please post your opinions here so the WebTeam can determine if there is enough interest to change the order of loading the multi-page Threads.

Thanks for your opinion!

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

It would be great if we could have the last page first, but with the original post carried forward (like a header). If that's not possible, I'd still rather have last page first.

Thanks for asking!

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Last page please

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

last page first..so we can read the new stuff.

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

last page first, please

friday
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You Da Man Phred. Last page please.

Spfd32
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Last page first please. And Bob, I like your header idea.

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Definately last page first!

Thank you

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Yep, last page.

McCall
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree...last page first...

McCall
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree...last page first...

LadderCo13
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Last page first with the original post as the header. If you don't you might not be commenting on the original topic. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but sometimes people tend to wonder off the subject.

Administrator

Lightbulb

Thanks for everyone's opinions regarding the Forum Posts.

Unfortunately, the bulletin board version we have does not allow for the posting of the "original" message on every unique page so for the time being we're going to be leaving the order as is.

We will be upgrading to the newest version soon and if that option is possible, we will reverse the order. But in the mean time, to be fair to most users who only visit once or twice a week, we feel it is important that users see the original post rather than enter in the middle of the discussion and have to back track.

We will email the BB makers and suggest that users have the option to go first or last, but we cannot assure that will happen in the immediate future.

Another option to reduce load time is to put only 20 or so posts per page. This will add the number of pages per forum, but will reduce the load time for longer discussions.

Thanks again and feel free to continue the discussion or comment on the smaller page possibilties. There will be a 12-hour period later this month when the forums will be unavailable as we upgrade. This will likely be in the early morning hours (2am-10am EDT).

Thanks
    Firehouse.Com WebTeam

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think an acceptable, temporary solution would be for the smaller pages for quicker loading even if it means going to additional pages. Now the question is, can you highlight the page numbers in different colors for the ones that we've already read?

P.S. Keep up the good work, I really enjoy this web-site.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Hey folks! As you can probably tell by now we've added loads of new features to the Forums ... including almost 60 regional and international forums in a new area!

Plus more EMS and Firefighter Forums....all for the thousands of participants in the web's #1 Emergency Services Discussion Boards!

We'll continue to upgrade..trying to improve speed an look. Threads are now broken up in a few more pages for quicker viewing, plus we've added "join date", "total posts" and "location" to every post!

And on top of that, we're pleased to announce that we were the Ultimate Bulletin Board's Site of the Week! They are the makers of the software which runs the forums, which is in use by thousands of sites around the 'net.

(http://www.ultimatebb.com)

Thanks again to our many users and moderators...keep talkin' and spread the word!

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hello, WebTeam-

Is it my imagination, or has the time required to load a page increased quite a bit the last few days? Big pages were never quick on my computer, but loading the indexes and page one of the multi-pagers now seems to take forever and then some more!

And another suggestion/question:
    Can / could you add additional click-links in the index page Thread Title box - rather than click on the underlined Thread Title, have the title followed by Page1, 2, and 3 underlined click-links; let the reader choose which page they want at the time they select the subject. Now everybody could live with That, but can it be done?

Wow! Just found the Topic Review lurking at the bottom of the reply page; Now that's really handy to have back. Thanks, WebTeam!

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Definitely Last Page... and I like Bob Snyder's point about the beginning thread.
    I also like the new design but it seems it takes forever to do a "since yesterday" search.

------------------
    ED C.
    "Doin' it for lives and property !"
    <A HREF="http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/ptfd21/index.htm"" TARGET=_blank>http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/ptfd21/index.htm"</A> Pittsfield Twp. F.D.

Thread Information