Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Page Loading Problem

I just started having trouble with loading the entire page. When I go from one page or forum to the next, I only get the Firehouse header information. It is necessary to hit the reload button to get the rest of the page. Is this my problem or a system problem?

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Ditto the above; but it only seems to happen on some pages - mostly the topic Index or Contents pages. Been happening off and on for over a week.

And tonight the Light Bulbs decided to vanish. I'll try to fix that problem by deleting and resetting the cookie in the site's preferences section.

Hope the WebTeam is already hard at work with the fixes!

Administrator

What browsers are you guys using?

WebTeam

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

Netscape 4.7

It has only happened for a few days.

It is still happening tonight.

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

WebTeam,

It's still happening. Fireground Tactics topic index would not appear after 3 Reloads - only loaded the top advertising half of the page.

Using NetScape 4.7 with Windows98.

Also noticed that the storage of UserName and Password for posting a reply only seems to last for one day; after that I have to fill in the empty boxes.

Imaff4free
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am also having the same problems, I use NetScape 4.7 with Windows 95. And the page goes very wide on other topics, my setting is 800by600.

------------------
    God bless us all,
    on every call.
    Todd

Administrator

Canb someone emai us a screen shot of what they're seeing..it only seems to happen in Windows 95 or 98 with Netscape 4.7.....can someone switch to Internet Explorer and see if it happens?

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

WebTeam,

No screen shot - after I commented that index loaded fine. It's not a constant or repeatable problem at any given time. Some days I can't ever get a given index to load, and next day that same index loads fine; sometimes an index will not load without two or three Reload attempts, then does load but takes forever (2-3 minutes). Problem does seem worse on the Busy forums - ones that have 5 or more active threads and two or three pages on threads. The lightly used and not lengthy post threads don't seem to do it as often. I see it happen more on the index pages, but it HAS happened when trying to read an individual thread.

What do we see: the full, complete top HALF of the page - the black background advertisement area, but NO left-hand ad or feature area, and no subject or post/index area. Everything from the bottom of the top advertisement area (the center of the screen) to the bottom of the page is pure white and has no scroll bars. The ad area fills in very quickly and with normal color, detail, and clarity. If there are moving graphics in the ad, they move, twitch, or blink normally.

4free also mentioned a happening that started after the last Upgrade: Some pages are too wide to view without scrolling. MOST post and forum pages just fit in 800x600 mode, but some are anywhere from 1/2 to two or three inches too wide to view. I've noted that any time an image is posted the page goes too wide, even if the image itself fits without scrolling. But many pages that only have normally typed posts somehow expand and won't fit the normal screen.

Now wave your magic wand and fix it!

Administrator

John

Unfortunately, we dont have a magic wand. We're working on the issue and hopefully will have a resolution soon, but it appears to be only happening to a handful of users as we've tested it with numerous visitors and at least two dozen different computers and platforms.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

It isn't just in Netscape 4.7, as I use IE 5.0 and sometimes it does that to me too here lately. Another problem I've noticed is that the "hop to" forms at the bottoms of the threads aren't always working, as in about 60% of the time. I get a blank page with the url ending in cgi-bin.search.

Go figure.

Ken
    Local 3133

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's getting worse here too. I'm using Netscape 4.7 with Windows 95. Tonight it has had more problems than ever before.

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

Using the reload button often results in the loading of the threads. Hitting the reload button is ineffective tonight.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Folks

We've just purchased a new server to host the boards on which should vastly speed things up, especially during busy times such as LODDs, etc when there are literally hundreds of people viewing/posting at a time.

This change will take place within a week or so.

In the mean time, we've taken the forums 'back to basics' to try to solve any lingering problems that couldnt immediately be resolved.

The 'print page' and a few other options might not be immediately available, but rest assured once we've done testing everything, the site will revert back to its full blown look.

Thanks for your patience. Our boards are getting more and more popular as each day passes!

Thanks
    WebTeam

Administrator

Folks

Weve done something that *may* have solved the problem. But please let us know if its still happening. Again, only a handful of people seem to be experiencing this.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

YES! Go WebTeam!

The magic bullet seems to have helped. Pages are loading faster, and for two days I haven't seen the stick at half a page problem.

And you said you couldn't find your magic wand... Good work, WebTeam!

Administrator

We wouldn't necessarily call it a magic wand ... and it may still affect some threads until the page is updated when someone replies to an older thread ... but it likely was something as simple as one missing set of quotation marks.

The server may still respond slowly if there are any major incidents prior to the server upgrade in the next week or so, but other than that the situation should be resolved.

Let us know if you encounter it via e-mail at webteam@firehouse.com and be sure to cut and paste the URL of the thread in question.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

Improvement, yes it has happened! I'm still getting a few problem pages, but a whole lot less than it has been. Thanks for the efforts and especially for running the forum.

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ive been having problems trying to get to the page. I use AOL and im not sure what browers it uses. When i type in www.firehouse.com it takes me someplace else, a website called, the firehouse.com network of fire, rescue, and ems sites. It says something about the CoolWriter network. It just stared yesterday, when i minimize AOL and use microsoft internet explorer i can get to the site without problems. If you can help with this i would appreciate it.

Administrator

What happens when you click Firehouse.Com from within that site? Thats something we defenitely have never heard of...

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

When i goto the site it has a link to your site, when i click it, i remain on the other site, very odd, it just started yesterday, i think im gonna contact AOL to see if it is a problem on their end.

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Just thought id let you know that the problem is now fixed. I dont know how or why, by your page is loading fine again.

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Hey, WebTeam,

How's the new server project comming along? Thought we'd see an announcement by now.

The site was OK on loading speed until tonight - since 23:00 EDT it's been slower than a snail. If you're working on it, sorry for the interruption.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Perchance, does the pending new server have anything to do with the "get new posts" tab? I'm a computer ignoramus, but when I clicked on that a couple of weeks ago, in about ten seconds *bink* there was the list of new postings. Now, whether I'm on a modem or an ISDN line or a T1, it drags on and on and on, flipping through every single topic that's ever been posted in the entire Internet history of Firehouse.com. The end result seems to be the same, for all that. It's nice to know it's being thorough, but c'mon

[This message has been edited by Quint1Medic (edited May 12, 2000).]

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Same problem here! Webteam, can you help?

Thread Information