Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Why are the Forum Pages so Slow to Load?

Hey there, WebTeam,

Hate to be a complainer, But the Forum pages are loading way too slow these days. It now takes NetScape 4.72 as much as 2 to 3 Minutes to fully load and display a typical Forum subject or index page. If it's a Big index, or the Main Index page, it can take 4 or 5 minutes ... it never used to take That long.

Other sites, even the network news sites filled with pictures, load much quicker. I don't think it is anything that has gone wrong with my system, because other sites that I regularly visit all load in their normal time and always reload from cache in a quick fashion.

So... What's the problem? Does anyone else think things have slowed down, or is it just me? And does anyone know of a trick, special option, or other bit of magic that will speed things up? The last time I remember this happening, the WebTeam posted that they had found a programming glitch; after that was fixed things did speed back up for a while.

Maybe I should grind up a vitamin and sprinkle it on the mother board .

Administrator

Sorry Phred, not sure what your problem is specifically, but all forums have been tested on 56k modems and since the revamp should be faster than ever.

However, there do appear to be some sort of problem with Netscape 4.5+ versions. Its nothing glaring so it may require extended testing.

We encourage you to use Internet Explorer, which are lightning quick in most all instances even on slow modem connections. Firehouse.Com is primarily designed for Explorer, which is used by close to 80% of our visitors.

Thanks
    WebTeam

[This message has been edited by WebTeam (edited August 09, 2000).]

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I'm with Phred. They have gotten noticeably slower lately, within the past few weeks. I'm using Netscape 4.51, as are most of the folks I know (80% on Explorer? Sounds way high to me!)I may be forced to switch, if that's the problem.

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I'm with Phred. They have gotten noticeably slower lately, within the past few weeks. I'm using Netscape 4.51, as are most of the folks I know (80% on Explorer? Sounds way high to me!)I may be forced to switch, if that's the problem.

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Administrator

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Once again, we are looking into the Netscape problem but it may be a few days or longer before we find out. It appears to only happen in certain versions.

We do continue to advise to use Internet Explorer if possible. It should be pre-installed in most new computers with windows.

Here are our latest stats:

1 Microsoft Internet Explorer 74.8%
    2 Netscape 22.53%

Thanks
    WebTeam

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Not to mention that I get funky error messages saying zero data is being submitted, only to find out that it was posted anyway...... several times............

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Not to mention that I get funky error messages saying zero data is being submitted, only to find out that it was posted anyway...... several times............

Administrator

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Once again, we are looking into the Netscape problem but it may be a few days or longer before we find out. It appears to only happen in certain versions.

We do continue to advise to use Internet Explorer if possible. It should be pre-installed in most new computers with windows.

Here are our latest stats:

1 Microsoft Internet Explorer 74.8%
    2 Netscape 22.53%

Thanks
    WebTeam

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Looks like the 'say it again' bug got the WebTeam, too .

I can't believe that TeeJay and I are the only two people that are having the slow page loading problem - if anyone else is having the same problem, please send a short post to give us some moral support .

And not to be a smart *****; but 22.53% of almost 10,000 users comes to about 2 thousand folks having trouble D). That crack will probably earn me a black mark in the WebTeam address book, but I've had my share of disappointing moments using Internet Explorer and I don't really want to have to use two browsers. The WebTeam found the problem before; I'm hopeful that they'll wave their magic wand and find the bug this time.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Okay, I'll bite here. I'm using Internet Explorer and an ISDN connection, and it's slowed down for me, too. It happened at about the same time as the spiffy new fonts appeared...ads pop right up, the juicy parts take forever.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Okay, I'll bite here. I'm using Internet Explorer and an ISDN connection, and it's slowed down for me, too. It happened at about the same time as the spiffy new fonts appeared...ads pop right up, the juicy parts take forever. It isn't a matter of minutes, but it's still noticeably longer.

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think this thread has a poltergeist...this is the first time in about a jillion posts that I've double-whammied. Hmm.

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

The only thing slow on mine is my typing. I use Internet Explorer, 56k, PentiumIII-450 and no major problems with any downloading.

Jay911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I not only find all the forum pages slow to load on NS 4.73, but sometimes they seem to 'hang' the browser window briefly. Click on it (after being in another task on the machine) and nothing will happen.. pause.. pause.. pause.. oh there it goes, maybe 15 or 20 seconds later. Only happens here.

I also invariably get blue screens of death and other fatal errors (usually illegal operations, mostly) when viewing forums on Firehouse.com - at least once a day if not more often, crashing all Netscape windows.

And frankly I'm not interested in switching to a different browser to view one web site.

--Jay.

ResqCapt19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I agree with the others. This site is much much clower than it was before the new format. I use Netscape Communicator 4.7 and I'll give up Firehouse.com before I'll switch to IE.

Administrator

Anyone notice a change or faster since this afternoon?

Thanks
    Firehouse.Com WebTeam

[This message has been edited by WebTeam (edited August 12, 2000).]

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Much better this morning, guys. As long as I don't get any strange errors with multiple postings (poltergeists, as Quint put it....) when I hit 'submit', I will put you in for an official 'attaboy'....

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Way to Go, WebTeam!

Yep, it's Much More Better, now.

{GOLD} >> * <<

Instructions for WebTeam; Cut Star & Paste to either Forehead or Monitor, your choice!

And... tell us what the "fix" was, please.

Thread Information