Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: honor guards

kellyrelief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post honor guards

How about a forum for so the Honor Guards across the country can exchange information. A lot of departments want to start an Honor Guard but have no idea where to turn for information. And existing units can share info on everything from where they get the best deals on uniforms and equipment to how they handle different functions.

kmnader
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great idea I 2nd that. This would be good for everyone.

Kris

kmnader
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great idea I 2nd that. This would be good for everyone. We just started an honor guard in our department last year.

Kris

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would like to see something on this also. I'm a member of my company's Honor Guard and would like to here from others with the same interest. Thanks for considering this. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

demon641
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

just a question about the positions of the flags in a color guard(I know similar to honor guard but very different).

ok back to the ? If in a parade you have 3 flags(American,State,Company) in what order do they go in ie A,S,C ......S,A,C .

Thanks for the help.

FF McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

demon641 -- In reply to your question... I hope that I am qualified to reply- Having been the member of countless color guards while in the military.

Everything is based off of the US flag. The US flag should be on the "true" right.... meaning that as the color guard is proceeding in the line of march, the US Flag is on the 'right' side of the three flags. If after marching-- the color guard "posts' near someone speaking - the US flag should be to the right of the speaker-- or to the audience's left.

Also -- if you have 3 flags- then you should also have 2 "color Guards" (the Guard for the flags)-- In my Department, the color guards carry chrome plated axes w/ wooden handles. It's a point of honor and respect that whenever the US flag is displayed in the line of march- that there be someone present to defend the colors...

Semper Fidelis

------------------
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey guys...here is my 2 cents. I don't think it should be strictly limited to honor guards. I think that is too narrow. Maybe it could include all of the ceremonial aspects of firefighting such as honor guards, pipes and drum orgs., traditions, and history. It would be a good place to go if people had any questions regarding any of those topics. I am sure that there are more topics too, I just can't think of them at the moment.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

kellyrelief
    Firehouse.com Guest

the answer to the order of the flags is right that everything is based off the the American flag's right. To go one step further the rest of the flags would be as follows.
    1 Foriegn National flags
    2 Flag of the President
    3 State flags (in order of admittance of the state to the union, of in alphabetical order)
    4 Military organizational flags
    5 Union flags
    6 Department flags
    So to answer the original question it would be American , state, company with the American flag on the right in the direction of travel.

demon641
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks for the info.

Rob

DVFD7726
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

new member who just registered and notice the topic. Our department has been unsuccessful in finding a company to make a custom departmental flag for our honor guard. Does anyone known of companies that would be interested. Would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

------------------

kellyrelief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our union flag was made by McMullin Specialties. Phone number 610-459-5112. Not sure if he makes other flags. Did a nice job with our flag. Just be ready for the price when you get it.

Thread Information