Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Ashley Mitchell AKA Firefighter2000

This week we recieved notification on the firefighters forum that one of our forum members, Miss Ashley Mitchell (firefighter2000), was killed this past week by a drunk driver. Ashley was 14 years old and had stated that she intended to persue a carreer in the fire service. According to her parents she was killed either going to or comming from a fire department meeting.

I propose that Firehouse magazine and Firehouse.com use your considerable power and influence to establish a "firefighter2000" memorial fund in Ashleys name. This fund could be used to help fire and EMS explorer groups or to provide scholarship money to young men and women enrolling in fire science programs. Think of this as seed money to help build the fire service of the future. I believe this would be a fitting tribute to a young woman who's main desire was to become part of our profession.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Snorkel-13 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

If they get the fund set up I will kick in
    money myself.

Fyrball105
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I for one think, this is a great idea, please keep us advised of what happens> where to sent money if it is set up.

jcelebre
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for everyone's outpouring of support.

Hopefully next week we will be able to gather more information about Ashley and details about her life and the accident for a story if at all possible.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, we would not be able to start a fund in her memory at this time but it may be that someone locally is doing it, and if so, we'll report it.

Thanks
    WebTeam

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just a thought, but someone could contact the dept. she was involved with, who could in turn talk to the nearest institute of higher learning and see if they have a matching grant program. The monies could be sent to a local bank or the institute to be used in a grant program that would provide education to a graduate wanting to pursue a career in firefighting. Anyone could contribute and all money collected can be matched with a federal grant. Needs to be checked into.

[This message has been edited by comwhite (edited October 12, 2000).]

URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

It was my understanding that Ashley's brother's death a year or so ago was a LODD. Perhaps the fund could be in memory of both of them.
    I can't fathom this terrible loss.

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great idea, I'm all for it, whatever the method of contribution is. I can't fathom this either. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

jipfbutter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ashley was working on writing a book she titled "second Shift" I think we should finish it for her. See thread "Ashley's book"

jipf

Thread Information