Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    FF's SignfOthr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Time Lapse in Posts?

I was just wondering how the system works. Whenever I post a reply, the system updates the time and number of posts immediately, and moves the topic to the top of the forum. However, I don't see my post until much later in the day or even the next day. On my last post, I constantly checked the topic to see what was happening, and when my post finally showed up hours later, there were already replies to it that were posted less than an hour after mine. How are these other people able to read my post and reply to it before I ever see it to begin with?

I also noticed that when I post a new topic it pops up immediately. Why the difference?

[This message has been edited by FF's SignfOthr (edited 06-04-2001).]

Administrator

All posts are updated instantly.

The forum category and thread displays are dynamic, thus not 'cached' by your browser or ISP.

However, if your browser is set to used cached versions of pages (with .HTML extensions on the end in your address window) it should always be set under preferences to view the most current version) or your ISP caches pages (stores them in their memory and serves them, instead of us), you might be seeing an OLDER version of Firehouse.com than actually exists, possibly by a few hours.

If setting your browser doesnt seem to make a difference, try contacting your ISP to find out their caching policy (although dont be surprised if they don't tell you). Services like AOL and other ISPs cache pages instead of serving them live to cut down on their bandwith and other various reasons.

Thanks
    WebTeam

[This message has been edited by WebTeam (edited 06-06-2001).]

FF's SignfOthr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

If the responses are being "cached" by my server, why are the number of replies and the most recent post time current? The topic on "Women in the Firehouse" is currently showing 7 replies with a time logged just minutes ago, yet I can only see the original post at this time, no replies.

Administrator

The 'most recent post' pages are 'live' CGI scripts that keep track of those segments.

Servers do not cache CGI pages, only HTML and other 'static' pages.

Thus, the front page of the forums and sub categories should always be current, but the HTML might be old. But this is very rare to be more than a few minutes, or a hour or two old, unless you are using a very small ISP.

You may want to check your browser's setttings to ensure you are always loading the most recent version. This may depend on your browser. It sounds like if you are seeing no replies, you are seeing a very old version and something is wrong with your browser.

Thread Information