Angry Pros vs Volunteers

I am getting sick and tired of reading HEADLINES on this website that read "Firefighter" charged with arson or some other crime, and then read over and over that it is some volunteer...and not a professional. I wish they would make a damn distinction in the HEADLINE itself. Unfortunately we are lumped into the same category, and continually get a bad rap because of some no life wacker volunteer who sets fires for kicks, or because of some hero complex. I am not saying that all volunteers do this, so save me the hate mail, I just hate being categorized with them, sorry, just my opinion.

well you know what they say about opinions.<br />and since volunteers make up alot of the fire service across this country that means that there are alot more of them then the as you say "pros"<br />you and your "pros" are lumped together with volunteers because you are the same besides a paycheck and a union. if you take away your paycheck your doing the same job we volunteers are doing. so save your im union and professional story for something else
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Wink

ffrda I have already figured out what your login name stands for, but I won't go there. Can you honestly say that a "Pro" would really post in a manner to this forum in the content that you just did. I will agree with you that not all of the Volenteer's throughout this great Country of ous are bad, and you will have to agree with me that of the "pro's" are good. I believe that when you say "pro's" this includes the best of the Volenteers and Paid Firefighters. Websters Dictionary states that a "Professional pertains to a profession--A member of any profession--one who makes a living by arts, sports, etc., which amateurs engage". Where do the amateurs fit into your description, and before you go to where I would expect you to go to I will inform you that I am a third generation white helmet chief officer in a "Professional Volenteer Fire Department" with 23 years experience and a Virginia State Department of Fire Programs Fire Instructor. Its a black eye for all (Volunteer/Paid/Professional) Firefighters and Departments when something of that nature hits the press. I also feel that you read the press for the same reason I do and thats to see whats going on and the press knows that bad press sells better than good press, thats why they print stories af that nature, and its so unfortunate that the world has to deal with bad press...

Sincerely <br />William C Allison II<br />Chief

[quote] I will inform you that I am a third generation white helmet chief officer in a "Professional Volenteer Fire Department" <hr></blockquote>

MY FATHER AND GRAND FATHER BOTH WORKED IN AUTO PLANTS IN DETROIT BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN I CAN FIX A CAR OR EVEN PUT ONE TOGETHER.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Administrator

We'll be closing this before it goes any further.

We don't make a distinction on our headlines typically for any story, regardless of the nature, unless it relates specifically to a story.

Just as we don't put 'Volunteer Firefighter Charged in Arson' we also don't put 'Union Firefighter Charged in Arson' for the same reason.

This week, in fact, a story ran about a retired LA firefighter charged in an arson, but again, we only specify 'firefighter'.

In almost every STORY (rather than the headline) it is usually included whether they were volunteer, paid, etc.

Thanks<br />WebTeam

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: WebTeam ]</p>

Thread Information