The Philadelphia Fire Department responded to back to back explosions in 2 days. The first incident occurred on Saturday, 3-5-99, in the Fox Chase section of the city. A Box alarm was sounded at approx. 1000 hours for an apartment building, located in the 400 block of Chandler St. When arriving firefighters arrived they found heavy fire showing from a 2 story apartment building 40 x 70, and the entire 2nd floor walls and the rear of the property was blown away. A second alarm was requested immediately with special calls for 5 more medic units. As firefighters made an attack on the fire, there were some concern that not everyone made it out of the building. It was determined shortly after the fire was under control, that all residents were accounted for. There were 5 victims transported to area hospitals, with two of them in serious condition with burns. An investigation by the Phila. Fire Dept. revealed that the cause of the blast was leaking natural gas from a stove located in the kitchen of one of the apartments. As of nightfall the buiilding was taken down by The Philadelphia Housing Authority, Special Operations for fear of further collaspe.

The second explosion occurred on Sunday, 3-6-99, at 0640 hours. A Box Alarm was struck for Belgrade St & Venango St, reported to be a explosion in the 3500 Block of Gaul St. Pipeline 28, arrived on location within 2 minutes and reported he has a 2 story dwelling, completely down, and on fire, have all companies go in service. As companies arrived on location it was determined there were a total of 3 houses that were leveled by the blast. On this incident there was a total of 8 people taken to various hospitals with various injuries. Their conditions are unknown at this time. There were no Phila. Firefighters injured in either blaze. The Philadelphia Gas Company is on the scene trying to determine if natural gas also had a role in this explosion

Greg Masi
Phila.Second Alarmers

[This message has been edited by Greg Masi (edited March 07, 1999).]