Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FATAL MVA

EHC FF 1635
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default FATAL MVA

ABOUT 12:30 THIS MORNING WE RESPONDED TO A REPORTED MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT. ON ARRIVAL FOUND ONE MOTORCYCLE WITH 2 PT. 1 PT. DOA THE OTHER HAD MINOR HEAD INJURIES. THIS WAS THE FIRST FATAL MVA FOR MOST OF ARE CADETS AND ONE CADET WAS A LITTLE UPSET ABOUT SEEING THE MAN ALL MESSED UP LIKE THAT. ANY SUGGESTIONS
    ON WHAT WE SHOULD DO WITH THIS ONE CADET??
    ANY HELP PLEASE E-MAIL ME @ RIGS35@YAHOO.COM

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best thing you can do for him (and the other cadets) is CISD. A properly set up and conducted CISD can help, and will hopefully keep this cadet and the others around. Believe me, I am speaking from experience! I almost left the service last summer due to a double fatality, a 2 month old and a 2 year old. The debriefing helped immensely. Helped me realize that no matter what I had done, it wouldn't have helped. I hope this helps you.

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hate that I just found your post this morning. CISD is THE way to go...no one's career should have to start out under that cloud; it's something that won't get better by it's lonesome. If you don't have access to CISD or are aware of it...try Jeff Turkel, nsfirechap@yahoo.com. He is another member of the forum and I'm sure would be more than willing to help...it is his bread-and-butter.
    I agree with BVFD...it has helped me in the past. One thing I had to remind myself of when I first started (before we heard of CISD) was that I didn't CAUSE the accident/etc, I was only there to help to the best of my ability; like BVFD sez...if you did your level best and it didn't help, you did all that was humanly possible. That is all we can expect or hope to accomplish. The rest is in someone elses's hands. I'd strongly recommend CISD for everyone involved... failing that DO give Jeff a buzz, he has an open invitation to anyone who wants help or needs to (just) talk.
    Lee

Thread Information