City firefighters were dispatched to a reported house fire shortyly after 0200 this morning (12/18/99). First arriving companies reported heavy smoke in the area of W. Vine St. Engine's 2,1,3 amd Trucks 1 and 2 responded. There was visable fire showing through a second floor bedroom window on side-2, the fire had not self vented at this point. Three second floor windows were taken out as Engine crews advanced a 1.75" line to the second floor, they found the door to the bedroom shut containing the fire to a sigle room. The fire knocked down gickly with no extention, overhaul took several hours. There was no smoke detector on the second floor and the detector on the first floor at the bottom of the steps never activated, lucky for the occupants the parents were still awake on the first floor. They heard a noise on the second floor and went up and found the fire and got their four children out. The fire was caused by a unattended candle in a rear bedroom, total estimated damage was set at $35,000. 13 firefighters responded on this alarm with two slite injuries to firefighters , one a cut on the chin from falling glass that required stiches and another firefighter received a bruised hand putting a ladder away, all companies recalled about 0400.
Lt. Charles M. Huber
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
12-18-1999, 02:41 PM #1Truck 2Firehouse.com Guest
Another House Fire caused by a candle in Lancaster, Pa.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)