A Chimney fire that extended to the walls of a house caused approximately $10K damage to the structure.

The call originally came in as a chimney fire. Marlborough Engine 3, Ladder 1 and Rescue 1 were dispatched. On arrival, there was a light smoke condition in the house. A 2" attack line was brought in through the front door. The assignment was upgraded to a first alarm, bringing Car 3 (the Deputy Chief) and Engine 1 to the scene. The fire was quickly knocked down the area was vented with a smoke ejector and the area was overhauled. We used one of our new thermal imaging cameras to search for hot spots, and it worked out great.

The fire had been burning in the wall for some time, as the double 2x4 over the fireplace was burned away. When the fire was discovered, the homeowner ripped aspart the mantle and attempted extinguishment of the fire with a small ABC dry chem and a CO2 extinguisher. When we arrived he was shoveling snow onto the area in an attempt to extinguish the fire.

It was noticed that the smoke detector on the first floor was not there, the resident had been baking pizza and removed it so it would not wake up her children. A quick inspection of the rest of the house found a problem with storage and proper space for the heating unit in the furnace room of the basement. The resident was advised.



------------------
Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo