NFD FIREFIGHTER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post South Orange Dorm Fire

Reguarding this mornings Fatal fire in Boyden Hall, it seems that some controversy is developing reguarding the apparent lack of Fire First Aid appliances in the dormitory. Already people have indicated that fire hoses from standpipe systems were disconnected and awiating removal in the lobby of the building. One thing that must be noted here, Boyden Hall is a large dormitory, housing many students. The South Orange Fire Department like many others in this part of Essex County likley operates with a smaller staff than necessary. This is a decision of CITY ADMISTRATORS, not FIRE PROTECTION EXPERTS. One must wonder if these tragic deaths and injuries could have been reduced if the CITY OF SOUTH ORANGE were to fully staff their Fire Department. This same dorm suffered a fire in the winter of 1995 or 1996, in which several students were injured. I actually filmed this fire back in 1995/96. Don.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Couldn't agree with you more, Donnie. With probably more fires occurring in the Essex, Hudson, and Union County Area of NJ than anywhere else in the country, why aren't there more departments properly staffed?

I couldn't even fathom going out the barn door on a truck company with one other brother or even worse, no one else. But then again, you know the deal. These municipalities will roll the dice again and again. Most of the time they are lucky, but it is that one time that they get caught.

Well, got to go. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

NJ Firecheif
    Firehouse.com Guest

What bothers me the most is, it's as the city administrators don't care. While the cities in northern NJ are growing in population, the cities poilce and fire departments are reducing their staff. I have a BIG problem with that. I am waiting to see someone sue a city for not providing enough fire or police protection.

Thread Information