The Marlborough and Sudbury (Massachusetts) Fire Departments were called out in the early morning hours of 23 January 2000 for a reported leak in a high pressure natural gas transmission line. Marlborough Engine 3 was originally detailed to investigate an odor of natural gas in the vicinity of 60 Carver Hill Road, on the Marlborough/Sudbury line. On arrival there was a strong odor of gas and a loud "hissing" sound coming from a Tennesee Gas Transmission pipeline distribution valve setup. The Sudbury Fire Department was notified; Marlborough Ladder 1 was called to assist in notifying residents about the evacuation. Sudbury Fire responded with their Engine 2 and Car 2; a half mile radius around the rural residential area was evacuated with the assistance of the Marlborough and Sudbury Police Departments. Shelters for the displaced residents were opened at the Kane Elementary School in Marlborough and the Wayside Inn in Sudbury. Personnel from ComGas, Boston Gas and Tennesee Gas were requested to the scene. A malfunctioning pressure valve failed to shut down properly and a diaphragm burst, causing the leak. Tennesee Gas personnel were able to bypass the flow of gas into another valve and stop the leak. The incident was terminated at 07:30 hours, and the residents of the area allowed to return to their homes.

------------------
Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo



[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited January 23, 2000).]