Rob Reardon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Carver Massachusetts firefighters receive medals of valor

Carver Massachusetts Firefighters presented with "Firefighter of the Year" Medals of Valor.

Pictured from left to right Firefighter Michael J. Harriman, Firefighter David A. Buker Jr., and Firefighter Mark W. Whittemore. On February 9th these three Carver Firefighters were recognized for the heroic efforts to save an elderly woman from a house fire. Despite being confronted by intense heat and heavy smoke these firefighters performed their rescue effort without waiting for first due engine companies, hoselines, breathing apparatus or in the case of Firefighter Harriman, protective clothing. For their swift and courageous actions Govenor Paul Celucci on behalf of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts presented them each with Medals of Valor.

[This message has been edited by Rob Reardon (edited February 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rob Reardon (edited February 15, 2000).]

aktormedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

This may sound crass in the face of the obvious danger they braved...but if any firefighter from my area did this, and no one had been in the building, they might have found themselves without a job!! It just seems to me that we only get rewarded with praise and metals for doing "stupid" things....my 2 cents

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I would have to agree, the first arriving crew could have found themselves with 4 recues to preform, rather then one

Med1083
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not going to even say what these 3 firefighter did, was right. But, are we not forgetting why we got into this business ... to save lives! Even though I take my uniform off after work, I don't stop being a firefighter or an EMT. It seems to me that we are all looking for respect from the public, and when a group of brother does something right, leave it to his own brother to put him down. I can say from experience, I've to enter a burning building w/out proper gear, to my luck I have not been injured, and have not rescued anyone ... I would do it over and over again, it means that someone has the chance to tell there family or their family has a chance to say I love you again.

[This message has been edited by Med1083 (edited February 16, 2000).]

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

On the other hand, if your'e on the scene before the first engine, don't have turn-outs, SCBA, or any tools, and you have a good idea that some one may be inside, are you really going to stand and wait for that engine, and do nothing? Think about what the motivation is to do this job, and answer that truthfully..............

Frank Allen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

All I have to say is "GREAT JOB GUYS".

JOB WELL DONE

------------------
    "Volunteer and Loving it"

KFDRESQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

"These Things We Do So Others May Live"

C-12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

They say that hindsight is 20/20 and sometimes we do not have the luxury of time in order to save lives. A word of thanks and praise for a job well done.

------------------
    C-12

"Somewhere-Everyday
    We Fight For Life..."
    I.A.F.F. Memorial

Thread Information