Three fires in Reading over the past weekend left 15 people homeless and caused minor injuries to 2 firefighters.
****030400: A fire officials say was deliberately set damaged 3 buildings and left a family of 5 homeless. At 1155 hours box 323, 2nd & Washington streets was transmitted for a building fire in the 100 block of Pear street. Companies arrived at 1158 to find fire showing from the 1st floor rear of a 3 story M.O.R. dwelling at 124 Pear street, with fire extending to 2 nearby exposures. Companies advanced 1&3/4-inch lines and made an agrressive attack. The fire was quickly knocked down and placed under control at 1214 hours. The fire caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the 1st floor of the home and also an adjoing house and a storage building. Officials say the fire was deliberately set--witnesses saw juveniles running from an enclosed rear porch shortly before the fire started. An investigation is continuing. Companies assigned to the box : E3,1,8,L2,Sn1,R1,Medic4, C2 & 9.
****030400: A two-alarm fire heavily damaged 2 duplexes in the southeast section of the city leaving 10 people homeless and causing minor injuries to 2 firefighters. The fire occurred a few doors away from a fire on March 2nd which left a family of 6 homeless. At 1754 hours, box 212, 11th & Cotton streets was transmitted for a dwelling fire at 551 Maple street.Companies arrived at 1755 hours to find a 2&1/2 story duplex with heavy fire showing in the rear and extending to the similar attached exposure. Companies stretched numerous 1&3/4-inch lines as a 2nd alarm was struck at 1804 hours. Companies worked for an hour to bring the fire under control by 1907 hours. Two firefighters were treated for injuries in the fire-1 suffering a srained ankle, the other minor facial burns. The fire which was caused by unattended cooking caused $50,000 damage to the 2 homes and left 4 adults and 6 children homeless. Companies assigned to 1st alarm: E13,8,1,Sn1,L2,R1,Medic1, C4 & 6. 2nd alarm: E3,9,L3, C2 & 9.
****030500: At 1432 hours, box 42, 10th & Walnut streets was transmitted for a dwelling fire at 222 N.10th street. Companies arrived at 1433 hours to find a 2&1/2 story M.O.R. dwelling with smoke on the 2nd floor. Companies advanced a 1&3/4-inch handline and quickly extinguished a fire involving a 2nd floor bedroom.The fire was placed under control at 1447 hours. No injuries were reported and a damage estimate was unavailable. Companies assigned to the box: E1,13,3,Sn1,L3,R1,Medic1 and C2


[This message has been edited by RdgFire (edited March 06, 2000).]