The following fires occurred in Reading,Pa over the past few days.
----062700: At 0928 hours an engine,ladder and chief were dispatched to an alarm system activation in a private dwelling at 1926 Elder street in the city's Hampden Heights section. Companies arrived at 0933 to find a secured 1&1/2 story private dwelling with nothing showing. As companies were waiting for a subscriber to arrive, a walk around of the building discovered smoke beginning to push from around a rear window. DC Kellenberger requested the box to be filled out as companies began forcing entry. At 0937 hours box 631, 16th & Rockland streets was transmitted. Once inside, companies encountered heavy smoke and a smoldering fire involving a 1st floor bathroom. The fire was quickly extinguished with a 1&3/4-inch line. The fire was placed under control at 0955 hours. No injuries were reported and firefighters were able to rescue the family pet. Damage was estimated at $20,000 and the cause is under investigation. Companies assigned: still alarm- E9,L3 & C4. Box- E11,1,R1,Medic6, C1, & E13-safety company
----062800: At 2106 hours box 812, W.Douglass & McKnight streets was transmitted for a building fire in the rear of the 800 block of N. Front street. Companies arrived at 2107 hours to find a 2 story garage with an apartment on the 2nd floor in a rear alley with fire showing 1st floor. The fire was brought under control with a 1&3/4-inch line by 2122 hours. No injuries were reported and damage was estimated at $5,000. Officials say the fire is suspicious and still under investigation. Companies assigned: E11,3,9,L1,R1,Medic3, C2 & 9, & E1-safety company.
----070100: At 1730 hours, box 521 10th & Robeson streets was transmitted for a factory building on fire at the corner of 10th & Spring streets. Companies arrived at 1733 hours to find a 3&1/2 story 40x120 foot heavy timber factory at 954-8 N. 10th street with fire and heavy smoke showing from the 3rd floor and attic. The building housed a sewing machine fabric and supply company.
Companies lead off with a 2&1/2-inch line as a 2nd alarm was struck at 1736 hours, with an additional ladder special called at 1739 hours. Companies quickly knocked down fire on the 3rd floor but had difficulty accessing the attic area due to only 1 interior access, its low height, and stock piles of sewing fabric. Companies were withdrawn from the building after fire began venting from the roof area and a defensive attack initiated with master streams. A 3rd alarm was struck at 1804 hours.
Companies used 2 deluge guns, 2 ladder pipes and numerous hand lines to bring the stubborn, smoky fire under control at 2106 hours after sections of the roof and 3rd floor had collapsed. Two firefighters were treated for minor injuries in the fire which was caused by an electrical malfunction. Damage was estimated at $250,000-$500,000. Companies assigned: 1st alarm- E9,11,1,L3,R1,Medic8, C5 & 7, E13-safety company: 2nd alarm: E3,5,L2, C1,3, & 6. Special call: L1, 3rd alarm: E12,14,Medic3,& C9

[This message has been edited by RdgFire (edited July 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RdgFire (edited July 06, 2000).]