NJ Firecheif
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face Hell on earth: Edgewater NJ General Alarm

Edgewater NJ (Bergen) At 20:15 hrs Edgewater Police and Fire dispatchers received numerous calls reporting a fire at the new Avalon River Mews (former site of the Alcoa Metals Plant)Apartment Complex upon arrival units found heavy fire in 2 3 stry frames under constuction,what was about to take place over the next 15 minutes nobody would have never imagine in thier wildest dreams. A total of 13 units were fully involved and at the very height of this spectacular blaze a total of 408 units along with 9 residenial homes were fully involved. There was a 56 town mutual aid along with Canteen units from Teaneck and Jersey City operating at the scene. This by far was one of the most spectacular fires I have ever sceen in my life. This fire could be sceen as far away as Staten Island,NY. Flames were at least 200 feet in the air.

[This message has been edited by NJ Firecheif (edited August 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by NJ Firecheif (edited August 31, 2000).]

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey do you have a list of mutual aid units?

148champ
    Firehouse.com Guest

Was quite a spectacular blaze. Can't help but conclude that it may have been accelerated by outside forces. As for the row of houses across the street, their fate was proabably sealed by the intense amount of radiant heat generated and their proximity to the incident. It would have been worth a try to cover these buldings with Class A foam or better yet CAFS rather than just plain water. You'd think some apparatus there in a response of that magnitude would have had the equipment to proceed in that tactical vein. I suppose also that even if that recourse was considered, the necessary equipment might not have been able to negotiate into the immediate area to initiate this action. Logistics here would have been nightmarish at best and many times much needed apparatus can never gain immediate access to areas where it is most needed.

148champ
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another question comes to mind (among many concerning such a huge undertaking). What were the venues of water supply? Also how much LDH was utilized and some of the distances supply lines were laid. Was there access to the river at given points for pumping to the affected area? Hopefully there will be more information being posted as to strategy and tactics employed here and resources involved to accomplish extinguishment. I'm sure many readers want to know as much as they can about this unfortunate happenstance.

NJ Firecheif
    Firehouse.com Guest

Keep in mind that edgewater or all of Bergen County for that matter has never seen a fire of this magnatude, within the first 15 minutes of the fire the Chief knew all was lost so any and everyone who could hold a hose was helping. It is just a shame that a brother lost his home at a fire that he was fighting!

NJdisp706
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bergen County consists of 70 municipalities.
    69 have Fire Depts. and First aid squads or combined. Basically, mutual aid was provided by ALL of the county. 50-60 fire depts. and numerous BLS and ALS were needed for rehab and minor injuries. "Special Calls" were requested from North Hudson F.D.(regional career dept.) Teaneck F.D. canteen unit (box 54) Jersey City Gong Club (canteen)
    Possibly FDNY marine unit and the Coast Guard (can't confirm either). I can Confirm that FDNY called and offered assistance because some of thier company's saw and were watching the incident from across the river.
    here is a list of Bergen County Towns that responded Both Fire and EMS: Allendale
    Alpine
    Bergenfield
    Bogota
    Carlstadt
    Cliffside Park
    Closter
    Cresskill
    Demarest
    Dumont
    East Rutherford
    Elmwood Park
    Emerson
    Englewood
    Englewood Cliffs
    Fair Lawn
    Fairview
    Fort Lee
    Franklin Lakes
    Garfield
    Glen Rock
    Hackensack
    Harrington Park
    Hasbrouck Heights
    Haworth
    Hillsdale
    Ho-Ho-Kus
    Leonia
    Little Ferry
    Lodi
    Lyndhurst
    Mahwah
    Maywood
    Midland Park
    Montvale
    Moonachie
    New Milford
    North Arlington
    Northvale
    Norwood
    Oakland
    Old Tappan
    Oradell
    Palisades Park
    Paramus
    Park Ridge
    Ramsey
    Ridgefield
    Ridgefield Park
    Ridgewood
    River Edge
    River Vale
    Rochelle Park
    Rockleigh
    Rutherford
    Saddle Brook
    Saddle River
    South Hackensack
    Teaneck
    Tenafly
    Upper Saddle River
    Waldwick
    Wallington
    Washington Township
    Westwood
    Woodcliff Lake
    Wood-Ridge
    Wyckoff

[This message has been edited by NJdisp706 (edited September 02, 2000).]

Red Chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

It is hard for me to believe NJ code allowed a building of this size constructed out of wood. What would the lost of life been had people been living in the complex. I think all those there did a very good job in halting the fire where they did and without any major injuries. I believe this fire will like so many major fires, re-write codes. Sorry it has to take something like this to wake people up to what the fire service knows.

------------------
    Don Cocker

Thread Information