CTFP180
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question FIRE POLICE NEEDS HELP!!! PD SAYS 'NO BLUE LIGHTS'

The Coal Township Fire Police are looking for some help and/or information in regards to 'Blue Lights'. It is stated in our 'Fire Police By-Laws', that all fire police shall have a 'blue light' mounted on their personal vehicles, that are used while on a call.
    But in accordance with the Coal Township Police Chief, the Fire Police are forbidden to use any blue lights, or any lights for that matter. The police chief had stated that his department has the authority and juristiction over top of the State Police. Boy does he have an ego or what. Since when does an ego supersede the safety of our personnel? If he has a problem with an individual(someone abusing the bluelight), then he should suspend their light, not everyone. We were recently dispatched to a call to assist the police dept., and the officer asked me where my blue light was at.
    Anyone with any info. or comments please send me feedback or e-mail me....
    CTFP180@YAHOO.COM
    Thanks

Medic445
    Firehouse.com Guest

What does PA Vehicle and Traffic Law say regarding the use of colored lights? If the V&T Law says you can use it, then the police chief doesn't have a leg to stand on. The law is the law, and he has to abide by it, like it or not.

------------------
    Let no firefighters ghost say their training let them down.

hookncan69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

thankgod....hopefully they get you silly dangerous people off the streets and let the cops do the job they are paid for!!! i firmly believe you people(FIRE POLICE IN GENERAL) are more of a hindrance then a help. And for the blue-lighters...hopefully someone in the goverment will revoke this law and allow noone to use bluelights since they again are more dangerous in the hands of people who abuse the laws of road with these devices. Someone needs to come to there senses and allow true porfessionals to do this job and the average "Joe" who does it for a hobby!!!!!!!!! thankyou for giving me the opportunity to voice my opinion

hookncan69, you went a bit overboard in your reply. You showed no respect for your fellow firefighter. You are of course allowed to have your own opinion, as we all are, but to slam someone like you did is uncalled for, especially in a firefighter site.

In southeastern PA, where all there is are cities side by side, and things are too busy for anything but a full-time career fire department, there are also enough police (usually) to help out. But in western PA, away from Pittsburgh, where things are rural, and the town may only have a couple police on duty, the help is needed.

May I suggest you NEVER go to western PA. The thousands of dedicated firefighters out there will give you excellent quality service should you need it, and judging by your attitude, one could argue whether you deserve it. Stay in southeastern PA with your attitude.

------------------
    Rick Reed
    (Contact me about a musical version of "The Fireman's Prayer".)
    The views expressed are mine. I typed it.

FFMike9
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

you might want to get in touch with your state commisioner of motor vehicles or their office for a clarification on the law for blue lights. If that doesn't work contact your state attorney general maybe they can help.

Good luck.
    Mike P.
    Remsen FD New York

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can't for the life of me understand why firepolice are allowed to run red and blue lights and sirens. Being a chief, I and my assistants have sirens but my other officers are not by law allowed. So what they are saying is that it's more important for fire police to get to a scene then firefighters. My captains and lieut's are the people i count on, there sitting in traffic. I feel lucky that we serve an area that has a large paid police force. I'm glad that in more rural area's people give there time to help out. I just don't understand the logic.

CTFP180
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Ok, I see your point in regards to the 'police force', but they don't have the time or manpower to stand by and direct traffic or for crowd control in this area. I have been a firefighter/first responder and I understand what the firefighters are going thru as far as getting to the scene and/or the station. But our County Communications rely on the police to handle 'police matters', and the fire police to be the 'liasons' between the police and fire dept.
    At a motor vehicle accident, the police are in charge of the fire police, but at structure fires, brush fires, or rescues, the fire chief is in charge of fire police.
    If the police were to replace the fire police, then who would be out there catching the bad guy? In this area there is no paid fire depts. And our community depends on our willingness to help one another, no matter what branch or station you are from within the community. Some of us are working two jobs to make ends meet and can only be there as 'fire police', and in a day that volunteerism is at an all time low, we are thankful for the manpower we have. I wish I had the time to spend for the training to start to run on the rescue or pumper, but I don't...

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Rumor has it that some area police depts. have hoses and water in the cop cars. That way the cops can get there first, park in front of the house, do rescue or whatever, and then all WE have to do is come in and clean up!

ANYWAY... first to CFP 180... do you want to start a p|$$ing contest with the local gendarmes? "IMO" The police chief IS wrong in his statement, but that would be for the courts to decide, that would be YOUR choice (or your fire chief or dept.)

To 26DC & hookncan... hold on just a minute. I am from south eastern pa. Our dept. has firecops and they provide a valuable resource for us. I know that hookncan's twp. (Bensalem) does have fire police officers. Perhaps Mr. Can's dept. had some previous problems with them. If so that would be a local issue. However Mr. Can I do take umbrage with your comment of "allow true porfessionals to do this job and the average "Joe" who does it for a hobby!!!!!!!!! " Mr. Can, volunteer fire police are EVERY BIT AS PROFESSIONAL AS PERHAPS EVEN YOU... a "proffessional firefighter"!!!

Sorry for going off like that... soap box mode OFF. And yes, here comes that disclaimer... The opinions posted above are my own and not necessarily those of any organization to which I may belong.

RDWFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hookncan69....I don't know what to say. In Alaska we do not have fire police, but we DO have volunteer firefighters that respond with blue lights (NO siren, air horn). (with VERY little problems with law enforcement agencies) You obviously have had problems with firefighters. HOWEVER....we are ALL professionals, we do NOT do this as a hobby. I don't know where your animosity comes from, and I hope that you will deal with local problems rather than lump all of us into a group as a whole. Chiefjay4, is your vehicle a true emergency vehicle, or a personal vehicle???? If it is personal....why do you need a siren? your response time will be no more than 1 minute in difference from your members without a siren. (big deal, and a siren NOT associated with an emergency vehicle is incredibly confusing to the average citizen driver)

Be safe. The dragon lurks!!!

[This message has been edited by RDWFIRE (edited October 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RDWFIRE (edited October 01, 2000).]

sponge
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think chiefjay4 missed the point of the original post. They just think the fire police should have the same blue light priveleges as the firefighters, not the red light/siren priveleges of an emergency vehicle. The key is probably in the wording of the laws, which probably refer to a member of a VFD, not a volunteer firefighter. So it shouldn't matter if you are a firefighter, EMT, or fire police.
    It's hit and miss with the police. In some places, they'll write a vollie a ticket while he's trying to respond, other places, they'll go out of their way to block traffic for you as you bend the rules.

CTFP180
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow, this post has gone a long way, thanks so much for everyone replying to it. I just have a question for Chiefjay4... You stated in your reply that we feel that Fire Police are more important than your other officers ie: captains, and lieut's (in regards to getting to the scene). In the fire depts. that I've ran with the capt's and lieut's, were to respond to the station (to get the aparattus), not respond to the scene in their POV. Also it's the Fire Police's job to clear the scene and if necessary to detour the traffic, so that you and your men can do their job effectively and Safely... If we had the Police coverage that the bigger cities have then maybe there would be no need for the Fire Police. Remember the Fire Police go out to every call that comes in just like the firefighters, and we are the last to leave the scene. We don't pick and choose our calls, if it's 2am, we're gone too... We're there to protect you and the other Emergency Responders, just as well as protecting the scene so that we don't have a secondary incident, possibly involving one of our own from the Fire Dept. We're not asking for red lights and/or sirens, we're just trying to make the scene a safer place for our Emergency Responders. Driver's don't think when they see road flares anymore...

spunk639
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I'm just an EMS guy in a big city I have no clue what firepolice are. Could one of you stop arguing with each other and explain this concept it sounds a little strange.

sponge
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fire Police are members of a fire dept who's duties usually include directing traffic, setting up fire line, etc. Basically, they free up firefighters for firefighting and cops for crimefighting.

Thread Information