DATE/TIME: 100200/1530PDT
RELEASE: 00-126


Las Vegas Fire Investigators are working with Las Vegas Metropolitan
Police detectives to determine the cause of fire that caused extensive damage
to a northwest Las Vegas house and sent one firefighter to the hospital with
minor burns. The body of a woman was also found inside the house after the
fire was extinguished. Authorities are trying to determine if it is the
resident who lives in the house and what caused the fire. A large pet dog
also died in the fire.
No 9-1-1 calls were received by Fire Dispatchers at approximately 8:24AM,
when a large plum of thick smoke could be seen coming from the area of
Cheyenne Avenue and Tenaya Way. At the same time, Las Vegas Fire Engine 9
was traveling southbound on US-95 approaching the Cheyenne Avenue exit when
they seen the smoke. They got off the freeway, and went to investigate the
source of the smoke, which was approximately a block away. When they
arrived, they discovered a house at 7204 DALEGROVE DRIVE heavy involved with
fire and thick smoke coming from it. The crew called for additional fire
units to assist. Firefighters stated that there were a few people standing
in the street in front of the house when they arrived, and the people told
firefighters that there was the possibility that a child was trapped inside
the house. Firefighters did a quick search to see if anyone was inside.
Just as firefighters entered the house, the fire flashed burning the coat of
one of the firefighters. Firefighter/Paramedic Robert Shannon quickly ran
outside, where a fire hose was used to douse the smoldering fire coat, but
not before it burned his back. Shannon was taken by ambulance to UMC
suffering from first-degree burns to his back. He was treated and later
released and sent home for the rest of the day.
After firefighters doused the flames in a rear bedroom, they discovered
the remains of a woman lying in bed. Fire Investigators, as well as
detectives from Metro Homicide were notified, standard procedure anytime
there is a fire fatality. The positive identification or the cause of the
woman's death will not be determined until an autopsy is performed by the
Clark County Coroner's Office. It will not be considered a fire fatality
until the findings of the Coroner's Office is complete.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Anytime a fire
occurs with a fatality, several agencies, including Fire Investigators, Metro
Homicide and the Coroner's Office work together, which may take quite a while
to complete.
The fire destroyed two bedrooms and a hallway. The rest of the 1-story
wood frame/stucco house suffered heat and smoke damage. A preliminary damage
estimate of $80,000 was made by fire officials (which could change during the
Ironically, a by-stander interviewed by the media stated "it took
firefighters along time to get water on the fire after they arrived on the
scene," when at the same time no one on the street took the time to report
the fire. Firefighters were on the scene before any calls were received and
had tank water on the fire in less than two minutes. The fire was
extinguished in less than ten minutes. Firefighters stated that the fire was
so intense when they arrived on the scene, that there was little chance that
anyone could have survived the fire.