Administrator

Post LAFD Greater Alarm Structure Fire

GREATER ALARM STRUCTURE FIRE:

On Monday, January 08, 2001, at 1230 Hours (12:30 PM PST), fourteen Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, two LAFD Rescue Ambulances and three Battalion Officer Command Teams, all under the direction of Assistant Chief William Ward, responded to a Greater Alarm Structure Fire at 7700 North Melvin Avenue in the Reseda area. The first Company to arrive on scene reported a free-standing 50’ x 75’ one-story structure with smoke showing. Firefighters using handlines mounted a tenacious attack on the flames, which had taken hold of the attic space within the wood-frame building, and burned intensely in the southeast portion of the structure. Battling stubborn flames within the confined and compartmentalized overhead spaces of the Melvin Avenue School Auditorium, Firefighters extinguished the blaze in just 61 minutes. There were no injuries to Firefighters, or to the school’s nearly 670 students who were safely sheltered in classrooms distant from the auditorium. Loss from this fire is estimated at $85,000 ($80,000 structure & $5,000 contents). Though LAFD Investigators have ruled out suspicious causes, the genesis of the fire remains undetermined at this time.

D A L E
    Firehouse.com Guest

As first officer on the roof of this fire, some things occured that I would like to refresh you on.
    Weather : 0 wind, 60 degrees, light rain.
    The smoke that increased with each cut on the roof became more and more dense making visibility, breathing, and operating more difficult. Extended operations so the choice to hook up air or save your breathing apparatus had to be made. Results 50/50 I personally opted to not use my breather originally and to use all availible pockets of air to breath. I payed later and had no choice but to hook up.
    More and more crews working in tight quarters: 0 visibility with operating chain saws, swinging axes,pulling tools.
    Fatigue: extended operations, co poisoning,wet and heavy turnout gear.
    Three directional changes of rafter direction.
    Roof cricket for drainage: Double roof.
    Overhaul safety and communications.

E mail me if you have questions of any particular concern and I will try to answer them. HQLN55A@AOL.COM

[This message has been edited by D A L E (edited 01-15-2001).]

Thread Information