Default Dale City VFD wrecks engine while enroute to medical local

E181, acting E131 was enroute to a what the officer and engineer believed to be another routine medical call. While enroute E131 was attempting to make a left into the shopping center from Dale Blvd. The traffic stopped, except for one minivan. The minivan continued straight while traveling in a turn lane. The driver was taken by A149 (OWLVFD) to the local hospital for neck and back pain. E131 was placed out of service to due extensive damage to the front bumper.

The driver of the minivan was subsequently charged with failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, driving straight in a turn lane, and wreckless driving. The engineer from Dale City VFD was not charged, but suspended until an internal investigation could be completed.

Units on the box: E131, E17, A149, BC05, SAF13, DC13, C13
    Fir Na Tine

Suspended? In my opinion this is not acceptable in anyones book. If the accident occured as stated, then why on earth blame the Engineer involved. If this is what happens to a firefighter when someone else is at fault the God help us all as firefighters. Maybe the leadership in your dept. will wake up and see the light.

My question would be, what do your SOP's call for?If thats whats in print then get the investigation over with and move on. If there's nothing in the SOP's then you need to address that with the powers that be.

Be Safe Out there.

The driver has since been reinstated, and this is SOP for our department. It is done to protect our deparment until a full investigation of an incident and it's circumstances are completed. In this case, the civilian was at fault, and the suspension was lifted shortly after.
    Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

I am very glad that the engineer has been reinstated at this time. I still feel that to suspend someone for something that is not his fault is a bad SOP. Anyway stay safe out there.

Lump649, didn't make it clear but we suspend our drivers and investigate it completely, to prevent civil liability. in the state of virginia you are not criminaly responsible while responding, but you can be held civil liable.

One additional point to eng10drvr's comments. Everyone in this country loves to sue for anything and everything. This policy that DCVFD has just serves as that one piece that can prevent for a judgement being placed against the department or an individual. As a member I am grateful for it.
    We can't stay in hell, we are liable to put it out.

Forum Member

Reference your motor vehicle accident whilst enroute to a call. I have been riding the engine on two call when we have collided with something. I was'nt driving!! In each case the driver was not suspended. I think it only goes to making them feel worse than they already do. Our policy is to get them back behind the wheel asap so they get their confidence back. This is in all cases not just for serious accidents.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thread Information