Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Dale City townhouse fire claims 2

The members of the Dale City Volunteer Fire Department never thought that thier Saturday shift would be one they would never forget.

September 29th, 2001 just before 4:00 pm cars were pulling on the ramp of DCVFD's Birchdale station (FS10) to report a fire across the street. Firefighters quickly ran outside to confirm the report and found fire pushing from the second floor. Engine 10 (E10),DCVFD-Birchdale, transmitted emergency traffic due to the amount of calls in the area and announced a working fire.

E10 and R10 arrived on the scene and immediately went to work. Upon thier arrival they received information from neighbors that there were people still inside. E10 pulled a line and put a knock on the first floor to allow the Rescue Company to search and hold the stairwell. E13 (DCVFD-Hillendale) and E18 (DCVFD-Princedale) arrived seconds after and pulled additional lines to the second and basement floors. The victims were found during the primary search on the first and second floors.

Due to the old construction of the Birchdale area, the fire was contained to the townhouse of origin. No other families were displaced.

Dale City has not endured a multiple fire fatality since the world renouned 1998 Christmas morning fire which claimed 6.

There were no firefighter injuries and the fire is still under investigation by the Prince William County Fire Marshalls Office.

Units on the box: E10, E13, E18, E17, E12, R10, T03, M52, M137, A109, LA12, BC05, C13, DC10, DC13, SAF13, all on duty FM's, CISD
    team, ladies auxilliary.

Dale City Volunteer Fire Department

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: J.B.Goff ]
    Fir Na Tine

The Units on the scene of Burchdale Did a GREAT job at putting out this Fire and Showing What Dale City and Surrounding coummunities can do!!!! I am Proud to be a Member of DCVFD!!!! Great Job again E-10,E-13,and E-18 and other units in the efforts put forth in the fire!!!

Good Job to the Second Battalion, I am more than 100% sure that all you did was all you could do and more. I am also thankful that none of our folks were injured. Great job by J Goff in reporting the events.
    We can't stay in hell, we are liable to put it out.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: Fire Dawg 11 ]
    Stay Fit, Stay Low, & Stay Alive!!!

Banned

""""Fire Dawg 11
    First, As a Station Commander, you should have enough intelligence to correctly spell the words in your article. Secondly, Why did it take so long to find the body on the second floor (under the window?) Apparently a neighbor saw the victim ... """

Dang DAWG!

As the OIC of the Rescue Co. on that fire, I feel I can answer your question.

The first-due engine arrived, and reported a working fire. Upon my unit's arrival, I was advised of possible entrapment on second floor. With the second-in engine coming up the street, the decision was made to make an aggressive search, and let the second-in pull the second line.

My crew was able to search the front two bedrooms and bathroom under fire rolling the entire ceiling, high heat, and poor visibility and both were clear. We were forced from the rear bedroom by heavy fire, and had to back out before being cut off from our means of escape. The first-in line was then brought upstairs to control the fire, and then the victim was discovered.
    Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

Thanks to everyone for posting your reply's to this article.

To Fire Dawg 11, I appologize for not catching the mispelled words. I am not the best person for checking my own writing. But since your so bold to bring it up, question my intelligence and then public humiliate me, why dont you email me and talk to me directly. My email address is JGOFF@dcvfd.org. Oh, by the way, Firehouse.com is looking at where the message came from and whos computer it came from. I would hope, for your sake, that who ever wrote it doesnt know me and I dont know them.

Thanks for your reply anyway!

Jared Goff
    Station Commander - FS13
    Fir Na Tine

I am unsure based on the post whether it was Fire Dawg 11 or ccfire who posted the remarks about Station Captain Jared Goff, but I am sure you will know and I would offer the following.

First, I think that this forum can serve a good purpose as an exchange of news and information. It is not designed for mean spirited people to insult others, nor is it designed for folks to spread false information or to promote rumors and innuendo. I am sure that you feel quite smug spreading your venom while hiding behind the anonymity of your screen name. You will note that I am not so ashamed of myself to hide, my name is right out in the open for all to see. You could learn a valuable lesson about cowardice from my example.

I would like to point out that in the terms and conditions for registering for this forum that it states "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not us this BB to post and material which is... inaccurate, abusive,...harassing...". It appears to me that you have violated these three terms of membership and I have written to Firehouse asking that you be banned from this forum.

Jareds spelling is not at issue. Jared is a man with a good heart who devotes his life to the fire service both as a career firefighter in a neighboring county and as a volunteer with Dale City. I would rather know a man with a good heart and bad spelling than an ignoramus who spreads hate and discontent throughout a forum that is designed to share information. After the recent tragedies in New York and at the Pentagon, I would think that any true brother in the fire service would be rallying around his brethren, not pointing fingers at someones spelling and suggesting that the job that a department did on a tragic housefire was not up to your obviously unattainable standards.

Please stay away from this forum and from the fire service in general until you develop the courage to stand behind your words and the integrity to tell only the truth.

David Buchanan
    Equipment Manager
    Dale City Volunteer Fire Department
    Dale City, VA
    dbuchanan@dcvfd.org

Well spoken David.
    We can't stay in hell, we are liable to put it out.

GO David You tell Him Man We Love you Man Jared U are COOL no matter what NE1 Says!!! Everyone Did there best and thats All that can be done is your best!!!!! Good Job to all Units On the Fire In Company 10's First Due You did a Great Job!!!!!

Thread Information