Thread: Bid Specs

Mike
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Bid Specs

I am writing my first set of bid specs. Would anyone like to share via email any specs they might have for a Commercial Pumper?

Dallas
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would be happy to but I can't seem to be able to reply to you via the site. You can send me your e-mail address directly and I will see you a spec that is about 2 years old that we have bought 7 or 8 units off of. I can't say that I am a big fan of the units but they are about what you can expect from a commercial chassis.

Feel free to respond directly to me. dwlipp@aol.com.

------------------
    Dallas Lipp
    Lieutenant
    Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service
    Montgomery Co., MD

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

So do you have any picture of this unit to post on here?

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you settled on the big things, like chassis, motor/tranny combo, pump size, tank size, top, side or rear mount, etc.?

I like to think of it as a recipe, find what you want to put together, and contact some of the folks that you want to perhaps build this for you. It should be no trouble for them to generate a spec that has alreasy been done for a similar unit, and provide it to you. From there you can go through and add/delete what's necessary and go from there.

Beware of specs written so tight that only one builder can bid them. If that's what you want, great, but if you're looking for a performance based spec with some lattitude in a few areas, make sure you eliminate these items that would allow for only one builder to bid... Especially if you aren't loyal, there are quite a few builders out there than can provide you a very nice unit, and if you get them competing, it will only benefit you.

We've just successfully bought two rigs in the past six months, but I doubt neither would suit your needs. One is a custom engine with lots of ladders (lets say a quad) and another is a rear mount 4x4 on a commercial chassis. If either will help you, I could copy one and send it your way. I don't have then in electronic form.

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you looking for in paticular. I have 2 sets of spec's less than 18 months old one commercial one custom. What ever you do dont take multiple manufactures spec's and then copy and paste. If you want something generic, dont use specific compartment sizes or use popritary names that only certain maunufactures will use or construction methods. Put out what you want and let them tell you how they will build it. Then see what you get back. Go from there

Sorry NFPD1801 didnt read your whole reply,I hate sounding like a broken record.
    Last edited by CaptainS; 06-16-2005 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member

Hehe. You guys know that this thread is from 1998, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well...durn. I 'spose I missed that.

Then again, if they move as fast as it felt we did on the first new rig we ordered back in December, they're just about now calling for reps to bring by demos.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know it is from 1998. I replied to see if they had any pictures!

At the time, this was the oldest thread under Apparatus Innovation.

Thread Information