STA2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Tools and Generators

The gentlemen before bring up good points. When figuring your wattage factor in EVERYTHING. I mean the A/C draw, warning lights, floodlighting, cord reels with fans running, and anything else. This is important b/c with your type of apparatus you need to be able to run everything at any time. Some people will ask why emergency lights and the A/C? The answer is why keep that load on your alternator and batteries. To my knowledge there is not a big enough alternator available to keep up with the above mentioned load. Be able to put it all on your generator with the flick of a switch. This will benefit you greatly in the long run. You know all to well the demands that are expected on scenes I'm sure. Also if funding allows build in some extra KW in the generator to allow for add on equipment later such as additional lighting and electrical saws and etc. As far as AMPS generators go they are built about 5 miles from my station in Sugarland, Texas. They are a good bunch of people and do a great job fitting specific needs. Every dept. around here uses them and they are just what CHOPS says they are. I must disagree with something being duscussed here. That is the mfg. of the tools. My dept. has an older Hurst system and a new Holmatro system. The area dept.'s around here are all using Holmatro and let me tell you they are great. When we purchased our set we did a side-by-side hands-on demo with alot of makers of tools. Hurst, Holmatro, Amkus, Phoenix, and others were all present with their entire lines of tools. After about three hours of everyone using everything on about 10 cars behind our station the decision was unanimous. The Holmatro system was faster, lighter, and quieter than the others. Also look at your surrounding dept.'s. I am sure you have been on scenes where more than your dept. was operating on an extrication. Be compatable if possible. That way if the next in Rescue or Squad can't get near the car with their rig they can bring their spreader or cutter or whatever right up and connect to your hoses or powerplant. I have seen this happen numerous times and it is extremely important especially if you have major roadways and rail lines in your district. This is also important if you are gonna be using two different systems on say a dash lift of a vehicle. Different systems will work at different speeds and this can be important if the passenger side is lifting faster than the drivers side. These are just some things to keep in mind. Anything else just ask.

ka
    Firehouse.com Guest

Anybody know how to figure out cord size? Need to know how far a 14, 16, and 12 gauge wires will support a 750 and 1500 watt flood light at 110/120 volts.

Tom Granat
    Firehouse.com Guest

ka,
    The factors that determine the length of a cord is the load and wire size. Since your load is known, you try to choose a wire size that will cause only a 2% voltage drop over the length of the cord. 2% is the standard value used in the calculation, if the drop is greater the efficiency of the connected load is affected. For the 750 watt load(6.25 Amp)

16 gauge is good for 45 feet
    14 gauge is good for 72 feet
    12 gauge is good for 114 feet

For a 1500 watt (12.5 Amp) load

16 gauge is good for 23.5 feet
    14 gauge is good for 36 feet
    12 gauge is good for 57 feet

Hope this helps.

Thread Information