Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Consumers report on Fire Apparatus

Hey Gang what would you think about something like this. I would collect delivery lists from manufacturers and then send out questionares. Then tabulate the results and print them.
    I would also evaluate the different manufacturers personaly and provide an ouitside opinion. The manufacturers would not be allowed to advertise or underwrite the report at all. This would be a third party independent objective assesment on fire apparatus today.
    I would update yearly and do special reports on different compoents of each apparatus. The report would list chassis style and mfg. Body style. I would break it down into components like body and paint work, 120 volt electrical, 12 volt ellectrical, plumbing, hydraulics and aerial devices. I would even question about the salesmen and factory support including warranty and predelivery support.

So what do you think does it sound like it would fly?

------------------
    Dan Jenkins
    West Elmira Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by Fyrtrks (edited April 28, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Fyrtrks (edited April 28, 1999).]

JOHN J. DELUCA
    Firehouse.com Guest

SOUNDS GREAT !
    THIS COULD ONLY BENEFIT US, I'M IN.

dc14398
    Firehouse.com Guest

I do not think that the questionares would be very objective. Not true third party information. Some people love there apparatus make no matter what problems and will down play the problems or not tell you at all. Or the other side a department will get the apparatus from a manufacture they do not want for a number of reasons low bid ect and bad mouth it even thought it is a good apparatus. I have seen a number of time people not even knowing of problems with there new apparatus. Over weight on axles is a big one, Not preforming a delivery pump test, Checking the water tank size that was order for the truck are just some of the problems that can exist.
    One other thing that you could add is long term testing of apparatus. This would help determine life span of apparatus.
    But third party independenttesting is the key to making it all work. Good luck.

cra539
    Firehouse.com Guest

Before I would go along with your idea Sir, I would question your motivations for doing this. Did you used to work for a fire apparatus builder? Saulsbury? How could you assure us that builders would have no influence? How could you assure us that the information you send out is truthful? I'm sorry if I sound critical, but I don't see how this concept could really be objective in a forum like this. Just my two cents worth.

Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cra539,
    You are correct I did work for them, many years ago. The product has changed as has the company. I have not had much contact with the company from the tim of my departure. I look at fire apparatus with an objective eye and not a jaded one. Please E-mail me and I would be happy to discuss this further.

------------------
    Dan Jenkins
    West Elmira Fire Dept.

E7engineer
    Firehouse.com Guest

A true third party servey, would be a good idea. But as what was stated earlyer, some departments do not like certain apparatus. I know of departments, that set up there truck spec's for a certain company, due to one reason or another. I experianced one company that produced a excelent fire truck, that was purchased by us. The next two that was purchased..was not at the standards of the first.
    But if a person could swing a unbias report, it would be worth looking at.

Thread Information