Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Headsets in Apparatus

Anyone out there who uses headsets in your trucks.....what brand do you use and how do you like them? We use SET COM's and most of our guys would just as soon throw them in the trash than use them. We are looking to get something better on our next rig. How about some tips......

SBLG
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have both david clark and sigtronics . Take or leave the sigtronics and love the david clark , retrofited in all apparatus.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

In many cases, it is actually cheaper to get a handheld with a headset for each riding position than it is to put a DC or similar system in the rig. And I'm not talking about a Wal-Mart special walky talky, but a legit multi channel motorola or the like.

This setup will allow each responding firefighter in an apparatus to have their own radio. Just use a talk around channel while on the rig.

STA2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mikey we use headsets in my volunteer dept. and really like them. We use David Clark and them only. We looked at others but the DC system is military spec and approved by the F.A.A. and that makes them as close to fireman proof as you can get. We have them on all four of our Engines and our Heavy Rescue. They really help with giving assignments and letting everyone hear size-ups and radio traffic. We have four station (sets) in the cab, one on the pump panel, and one at the rear for loading hose etc. Another neighboring dept. uses sigtronics and they don't care for them. I agree with Cook about everyone having a handheld for communications but the headsets allow an intercom system without having to use a radio channel. If you use a radio channel for actual inapparatus traffic you could miss orders from the scene or info. from dispatch. Plus you don't want all apparatus conversations put out on the radio. One thing to do is make sure you have atleast two (2) PTT (push To Talk) buttons in the front of the rig. This allows your chauffer to recieve info and acknowledge it if your officer is getting packed up. Good luck and be safe.

nbfd131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Currently, all of our drivers have David Clark headsets connected to HT1000 portable radios. Work great. Hoping to have all riding positions with intercoms by the end of next year. Our ladder trucks especially need them. A Q2b running full blare does wonders for hearing radioes much less anything else for 5 minutes after you've stopped.
    Gregg

Chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

We now have our first headset system which is FireCom. BIG, BIG MISTAKE. At the time we purchased ours, they did not use shielded cable. Well, this caused major interference between the FireCom system and the radio resulting in the inability to transmit with the radio. Ultimately they had to come back and shield all the wiring to make the system work. From what I've read here and what other departments in our area are using, our next system will be David Clark.

mikey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your thoughts. I had heard good things about the David Clark headsets and wanted to see what else is out there being used. It sounds like the DC sets are the way to go, the cost is what has the admin hesitant. You get what you pay for though.

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

My career dist. uses the David Clark system in all our appaatus. My volunteer district uses the Firecom headsets. Without hesitation I would say the D/C system is by far the superior of the two. Communication between crewmembers is crystal clear with the Clark system. The Firecom system is voice activated with a sensitivity dial. It seems you can never get it set right and communicating between crew members becomes a problem. The David Clark mics are either on or off which provides better communication.

Mec28
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mikey, you may wish to look into Sigtronics headsets. Have used them in 6 rigs for three years with no complaints.Cost about $1,600.00 for three headsets, controller and interface for dual radio system per rig. $200.00 for installation.

------------------

FDshofr
    Firehouse.com Guest

I currently work on an engine that was aquired when a local city department contracted with us for fire services. It came to us with the Sigtronics system already installed. At that time, none of our rigs had headsets and we had nothing to compare it to so we felt it was great. Since then, our communications sections has "spec'd out" and started installing "Set-Com" systems in all of our existing units and all new rigs are coming with them. We are glad that we have the 15 year old rig with the Sigtronics system. The headsets are much more comfortable (the Set-Com's make your head feel like it's in a vice and if you adjust it so it's not too tight, it lets in the siren, horn and road noise). Another problem that we are having is that the Set-Com system is picking up the sound of the exhaust (not engine/electrical interference) from the Captain and passenger side f/f positions and pumps it back thru the system. It sounds as though it sets up some type of a harmonic within the system. This is only happening on one type of apparatus in our fleet, but we have 17 of those engines so those guys really get to suffer.
    Anyway, those are what we are dealing with on the Set-Coms. Most people that work on my rig (or the other two just like it) have made comment on how much better they like the Sigtronics. Good luck.

BSnyd.
    Firehouse.com Guest

David Clark all the way!

LtKup4
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Clark system. Engineers have only right ear phone on and vents in left side to allow them to listen for outside sounds (other sirens, horns, etc). I do like the idea of 2 ptt sets (we don't have that) so that the engineer can answer the radio if necessary. We also have adaptors for our Motorola WT for the engineer to use on the fire ground. Command vehicles have same. Excellent system.

TEKRSQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

We also use David Clark. They're awesome. Our engineer & officer have PTT capabilities, and the engineer has an adapter on his portable so he can plug in the headset while standing at the pump panel. Makes life a lot easier when your in the building and need that extra pressure.

------------------
    IAFF 995
    When it has to be done right,
    CALL THE RESCUE CO.!!!!!

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

David Clark = quality

KNOBMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have only used the D/C system and they seem to work find. I do prefer the microphone over the one that you stap around you neck. OUT

------------------

UNION AND PROUD OF IT!

E7engineer
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have Firecom and Setcom. Have driver and officer set for radio and intercom. Other positions are intercom only. Started using them on a 1979 ALF. Noise decibles were above Specs, set in NFPA 1500. Made a big difference as to conversations in the cab, with sirens going. We haven't had any problems with any of the sets being used. My rig is in the shop, and I miss the headsets.

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for the info...
    Our department just tried David Clark headsets connected to a portable to try to correct extremely high noise in an American LaFrance pioneer with a Detroit engine and a Q2B mounted on the roof. Absolutely a fabulous set up!. Thanks for th info!
    It really worked for us!
    Good Luck

Gychief
    Firehouse.com Guest

My fire company has a David Clark headset system installed in our newest pumper. The headset system is well liked by all of our members. I would recommend David Clark highly. One other point to ponder. Contact your radio installer to see if they have a good knowledge of David Clark system installations. Our radio installer had some difficulty when initially installing the headset system & the complete installation
    had to be postponed until a David Clark representative could meet the radio installer face to face with the truck.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have both davis clark and firecom. Davis clarks work great, firecom's don't they are uncomfortable and don't work all the time.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

Frank Allen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

David Clark is the only headset out there.

VOLUNTEER AND PROUD!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Frank R. Allen

Thread Information