cacfpd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Rescue or Rescue/pumper

Our department is considering to provide auto extracation for our district and neighoring districts. Up until now the service has been provided from a larger city department (20+ miles away), and another voulenteer department (12+ miles away, only in service part time).
    We see a great need for rescue in our rural area, but as with many departments must look very carefully at our budget. One suggestion is to have a rescue/pumper combination to reduce the costs of an additional vehicle. If this was done it would be used as a reserve pumper, but respond to all rescue calls and structure fires. For a structure fire one of the two current pumpers would not then respond, but stay as a reserve.
    By the way, we operate out of two stations and haul water to everything.
    I know that I am rambling, but would like others opinion on this. (I haven't even touched on the type of equipment etc we would have to get)

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

My recommendation to you would be to first look at what exactly you are going to carry. You might not be able to fit everything on a "rescue/pumper". You have to watch your axle weights. Also evaluate your booster tank requirements. Rescue/pumpers are good, but are alos limited in their design and space. Maybe you should consider a non walk-in type rescue. This is a virtual tool box on wheels. I have seen them with small booster tanks & PTO pumps. Also, with a rescue/pumper, does your manpower permit both rescue AND protection operations to be performed. Most dept's can't get enough guys on one piece to do just one function, nevermind two.

Be Safe!!

------------------
    GRC063

BSnyd.
    Firehouse.com Guest

My company operates a rescue/pumper. I'll never say that we will be able to handle everything with this unit, but it HAS always done the job. It is a 1992 Spartan/Saulsbury. It carries 600 gal water/ 150 gal foam. We have 2 electric/hydraulic pumps (each can operate 2 hydraulic tools) and one portable fuel hydraulic pump. We can operate 6 hydraulic tools at once. We have numerous other "rescue" tools also, 2 winches, port-power, chain, rope, com-a-longs, saws, etc. This unit is not the best engine and it is not the best rescue. If you go with this you need to know this going into it. But it sure has done everything we've asked it to do. We do have 5 other engines, two of them are also squads.
    Like the other reply said- find out what type of service you are really want to offer. We have a company 10 miles away that is a heavy rescue w/ boom, with confined space & water rescue availability on it. We new off the bat that we were not getting into that. If we need that we will call them, if they need foam they'll call us.
    Get it? Study this hard because they cost big bucks and you have a rescue truck for a long time.

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are currently ATTEMPTING to reconfigure our 1961 Chevy Booster to a Comination Rescue Pumper, we have added a Koning Bed and it carries 400gal of water with one 1-1/2 crosslay it has a 300 gpm P.T.O. pump, For our area we need dual capacity in a Rescue Vehicle plus any time you extricate you need a Line on the ground, If you have enough staff to roll two separate Vehicles then a Simple rescue will work but if your like us then go for the best of both worlds.

------------------
    Here today for a Safer Tomorrow

cacfpd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the info.
    We are merely trying to have some auto extracation and basic farm rescue capabilities. We will call the city department if we need them.
    We would not be involved with, other than assisting in Rope rescue, trench rescue, dive team, etc. Only the basics with both hand and power tools.

SFDchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

One thing I would consider is your depts. avaliblity of manpower. For a dept. with limited manpower it's easier to get one vehicle (rescue/pumper) on the road than it is to get two vehicles (rescue and pumper).
    My dept. has a rescue/pumper. A small booster tank (500gal) and a 30 gal foam tank. With plenty of room for Hurst tool, assortment of hand tools, cribbing and fluid recovery items (speedy dri, adsorbant and absorbant pads and booms).
    This pumper also carries a full compliment of firefighting gear. Air packs etc.
    Our rescue/pumper is built by Pierce on a Freightliner chassis

TEKRSQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not sure if I can add anything. Basically, figure how much manpower you're going to have and what type of tools are needed for the majority of your calls. You can't carry everything, even on a dedicated rescue unit. Our rescues are non-walk in style and we have 200 gals of H2O & a 500gpm pump. It's not much, but the idea behind it was to be totally independent at an MVA or to flow "some" H2O on a fire until the big pumps arrive. We are an urban dept. & usually not alone on an MVA , but if call volume is heavy, you never know. Also, we carry the tools for heavy duty vehicle extr., rope gear, and confined space gear on our unit. Our collapse equipment is carry on a totally seperate vehicle in house that only runs when needed. There is no point carrying that extra all the time.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your pumper is in good condition why not simply add a "tender" to carry rescue tools, i.e. a van? Thank you.

Thread Information