dmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Quality-Is It Just a Name?

Quality Manufacturing Inc. is a fire apparatus manufacturer in Talladega, Al.
    If I am not mistaken, they have been bought by Spartan. I have heard some bad things about Spartan and Quality in the past. If anyone out there has any experience with these companies please let me know what you think of thier products and service. Our city administration is looking at purchasing a Quality and if there is a reason not to, we need to know now. Thanks.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

We bought a Quality/Spartan engine a few years ago and are quite pleased with it. 1500gpm top mount pump, 750 tank, Zico ladder rack. We are so pleased that we chose to go with the state bid and ordered a Spartan/Quality/AI aerial this year.

Handles nice, plenty of room on the cab, no Spartan/Quality related problems (we had a Kussmaul autocharge/air pump put on and had a problem with it, but it's fixed) and the A/C works ten times better than the KMEs that we've been trying to get fixed for 8 years does.

Like any mfg should, they'll work with you on the details all the way up to and after delivery. We had a problem with our spec'd design on the crosslays after we took delivery of it because we didn't spec a max. width/height of them. We called Quality and asked them if we could change it and they sent a guy out, worked with a local shop and did what we asked. It cost us because it was our mistake, but they still went out of their way to help us out.

The only real problem we've had is when the guy driving the red pickup slammed into it the other night (story here http://www.gvfd.org/e3accident.htm).

The folks at Quality are great to work with, you should be happy with the results. Visit their factory prior to spec'ing it out and you'll find a lot of things you can that you may not have thought of (like more compartment space you didn't know could get if you didn't see a similar rig under construction).

[This message has been edited by S. Cook (edited May 31, 1999).]

dmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

S.Cook and others,
    Thanks for your replies. I know there are more depts. out their with these vehicles, so come on guys, help me out. When our dept. buys a pumper it is with us for twenty to twenty-five years. That's an entire career and a decision we the firefighters will have to live with. The decision of what truck to buy is very important to us so if you know anything good or bad please let me know. Feel free to reply directly to my email address if you do not wish to post a reply. dmjones@HiWAAY.net

Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Spartan has a good name. I don't know of many/any quality trucks in this area. Spartan and everybody else had engine wiring problems in the early 1990's but they were fixed then and all is well. One other problem was the use of electronic foot throttles but that was a truck to truck problem, not a overall trouble. Some trucks that had these would jump off the ground like a southeren Ca. lower rider. Spartan replaced the throttle with a remote mounted pick-up and a cable operated pedal.

------------------
    Dan Jenkins
    West Elmira Fire Dept.

dmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dan,
    Thanks for your reply. That is a little reassuring. I have gotten a reply directly to my email address that told a horror story about what one dept. went through with Quality. The city I am refering to had to hold the last payment on thier truck until everything was fixed. Does anyone else have any experience with Quality/Spartan trucks?

Truckie414
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'll try to get you a contact in Manchester, NH to talk to. Manchester is a heavy fire load mill city and they have several 1990's Quality/Spartan and Quality/3D's that get a good workout at 10-15 workers a month.

CaptBrown
    Firehouse.com Guest

We own a 1988 Ford/Quality Engine and I would not take for it.Although it's in reserve now,I still belive it is the best truck in the fleet.

Also, you may want to contact someone at the Dallas Fire Department's maintenence division. They only buy Spartan-Quality apparatus

dmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

Truckie414 and CaptBrown,
    Thank you both for your replies. I would be very interested to hear from Manchester and Dallas. The more info we get, the more intelligent and informed decision can be made. Again, thank you both and I look forward to hearing from others.

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

dmjones,
    One of our neighboring departments has just purchased a new Quality....They have had quite a few "quality" problems from incorrect wiring, leaking suction plumbing, and other problems. This truck was manufactured during the early months of the spartan acquisition which may have contributed to the problems. contact Neil Kirkland with Lincoln Parish Fire District 318 255 1055.
    Good Luck

Truckie2
    Firehouse.com Guest

The City of Meriden CT FD also has an older Quality pumper but they have since bought an E-One. You may want to find out their opinion of the Quality compared to their other brands of vehicles.

dmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firehose and Truckie2,
    Thank you both for your replies. I will be very interested to hear these depts' opinions. I also received a response via my email that tells of another horror story about Quality. Maybe these problems arise depending on the dealer? Again, thank you for your replies. If anyone else has an opinion or knows of someone with experience with Quality please send me a response.

SCFF2304
    Firehouse.com Guest

The County Dept I work for has a total of 10 Quality tankers in service since 1993, and the only major problem that I am aware of was in the first few trucks we got the pump was not inline with the pto, we sent one back to Talledega, the rest they fixed here. Other than that they have more than done the job. Quality seems to be more than a name. We also have several Spartan chassis pumpers in service, and they too have more than done the job, so I think you'll be well pleased with them. Good Luck!

dmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

SCFF2304,
    thanks for your reply. I still have a hard time figuring out how one company can produce products with such a large difference in quality. Some depts have been pleased with their apparatus and some have so many problems that they absolutely hate the company. How can this be?
    If anyone else has any experience with Quality please let me know.

Thread Information