Thread: Quints

BBond
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Quints

Does anyone have any experience with Quints? Did they work or not? Would you buy another? Is there anyone from Richmond or St Louis with an opinion about those cities and the Quint program?

Ricky Bodin
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have owned a quint since 1981. We run the truck primarily as a truck company, but sure like to have the pump capacity and extra LDH at large fires. The whole quint concept where every piece of apparatus is a quint can and does work if the firefighters are open minded enough to be flexiable in their fireground duties. If you are going to integrate a single quint into a traditional mix of truck and engine companies be aware that the company can only perform one function at a time and it may be best to utilize the apparatus in the traditional truck role unless unusual conditions warrant deviation from yuor standard operations.And to answer your question as to if we would buy another quint, the answer is defiantely yes.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run both a quint (55') and a straight ladder (100'). We've had the quint since 1981 and the ladder since 1993. The fact that we have both is an accident of history, but it has turned out to be a very useful arrangement. The quint generally runs as our primary attack engine, while the ladder runs as a truck company. We are in a combination suburban (actually exurban) and rural setting, where access to the scene can be a real problem. The quint often ends up being the only apparatus that can get to the end of some narrow lane, serving as the engine/rescue/truck, with the ladder parked out on the main road someplace away from the scene. In that sense, the quint has turned out to be our most useful piece of apparatus by far.

Since it sounds like you're in an urban setting, where narrow farm lanes won't be a problem, consider this: how many narrow streets and alleys do you need to deal with? They can very well end up looking just like our narrow farm lanes, from a tactical point of view. In those situations, it would probably be nice to be able to get, for instance, a 75' or 85' quint into that small space with a supply line on the street. From there, just like we do, you can use the quint's crew for whatever application you want (say, attack), and bring crews from other apparatus to cover other functions using other physical capabilities of the quint (say, ventilation), without having to jam two or three rigs into a small area.

We didn't plan to have both, but now that we do, we wouldn't switch to any other setup.

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department just ordered a new quint(Pierce 105'). It is our first, we have an 85' Tower. What sold our boss on purchasing a quint for our new station, I think was we had an apartment fire. We called for mutual aid and got a quint. He liked the fact that it could be put up to the roof and left for egress, unlike the tower where you have to take it up to the roof and back again.

------------------
    ED C.
    http://members.aol.com/PT10FD/info.htm

STA2
    Firehouse.com Guest

As far as Richmond goes its still a pretty new setup for them. St. Louis in my opinion has a good system. To do the Quint thing in a large dept. requires committment. Either your going to put them in outlying areas where the first due truck co. is aways out or your gonna do like St. Louis did and put them in every co. They have a set of SOP's which works. You can buy a rig with everything on it and without SOP's the system won't work. As I understand it the first co. is an engine and the second is the truck and so on. It allows tremendous versatility on the fireground for rescue, roof ventilation, exposure protection, master streams and more because of the number of ladders on scene. just my thoughts. Also in my opinion it works because of the mix of 55' and 75' Quints that they have, about half and half. Only 4 or 5 true "Hook and Ladder Companies" left up there. E-Mail me for more specifics. Be safe.

Larry

Q2LT
    Firehouse.com Guest

We operate a limited quint concept in our town. We run a quint out of Stations 1 & 2 and an engine out of station 3. The quints are very versitile and has been a blessing at fires, especially with the limited number of manpower we have per shift. On fires the first in quint sets up to fight the fire and the ladder is placed to perform ventilation or exposure protection. We really like the ideas of the quints. If you have any other specific questions, e-mail me.

TEKRSQ
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm from Richmond, so here goes. First, this is strictly MY opinion. While it is shared by many in our dept, it is NOT the official opinion of the administration, union, or dept.!!!!

We have a mix of Pierce 100' towers, 75' & 105' aerial quints. They all have 2000 gpm single stage pumps, either 200 or 250 gals of water, 4" supply line, and most of the basic engine & truck equipment. They are absolutely beautiful machines as far as operational ease. Getting water is as easy as pushing a couple of buttons & the aerials are very sturdy and quick to get into operation. They do the job, but they do have a few limitations that sometimes makes life hard on us. (1)We have some VERY narrow streets in many areas of the city that these "beasts" will not fit down. On a few occasions we've had to stop at the corner & hand lay lines, manifolds, etc down to the fire. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened, & has potential to happen many more times. (2)The hose bed leaves a lot to be desired. We had many problems with our 4" hose hanging up while laying in. We've came up with a "new" hoseload that seems to have taken care of that problem, but it's a consideration when designing the truck & system to operate it in. (3)We've noticed that "truck work" has taken a serious plunge since all the quints went in service. Everybody wants to have a line & be in the fire. I like to be in there too, but if I have to bail out a second floor, I'd like to have a ladder close by. I realize this is an operational issue & not the appartus' fault, but it's something to watch out for.

I'm not sure what type of dept. you have (urban, rural, paid , etc.), but we are a totally paid urban dept. The biggest gripe we have with "The Quint Concept" is it is the best way for your bean counters to reduce manpower. We lost 7 truck companies when the quints came to town. We've lost many other companies over the last 12-15 yrs but that was the biggest bust, and RUMORS of loosing more in the next few years. We see a fair amount of fire in the city, but we are dangerously thin. Right now we can handle two multi-alarm situations at a time. Any more than that, we have to call surrounding counties (that have their own problems) in for help. I guess it's going to have take one of the bean counter's homes to burn down before they get the hint.

All in all, most of us are happy with the quints & "The Quint Concept". A few things could be better, but that is true about anything. The firefighters make it work. We are the ones doing it everyday & figuring the best way to handle it. Make administration listen to you. You have to make it work, not them.

------------------
    IAFF 995
    When it has to be done right,
    CALL THE RESCUE CO.!!!!!

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

One thing I've been banging around in my mind, and I don't know how practical the solution would be, would be use the quints as part of a two-piece company...something like a LA Task Force "Light Version"

What I have in mind is a traditional quint that goes in and attacks the fire, backed up by a small pumper on a 2-3 seat commercial chassis with a 1500gpm pump, 500gal water, Large Diameter Hose, booster line for small fires, extra tools the quint can't carry, etc.

The Wagon would establish water supply, etc. for the Quint. Ideally, you'd have 3 men on the quint, and 2 men on the Wagon, and the wagon could handle most EMS runs by itself, leaving the quint available in quarters. For incidents in the roadway, you'd have two pieces of apparatus immediately available to use to block the scene.

Maybe even when you know you're second due and will be doing truck work, all five men ride the Quint...I'm just randomly thinking this combo of a Quint and a mid-size Wagon would be one heck of a potent force.

Matt

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

#1 what the heck are these msg icons?
    #2 TEKRSQ confirmed both of my fears when i saw the new richmond rigs---narrow lanes, and lack of truck work. I grew up in richmond and used to vol EMS there...occasionally used to eat with the firefighters at their station...admired the maxim tiller trucks and little alley running engines...they were beautiful (if a bit old) pieces...open tiller, canopy cabs...no ugly white stripe...beautiful wood ladders.

Richmond also has alleys between the blocks where the trash trucks run...i've heard the theory that if they can get down the alleys, so can a straight truck. I guess it doesnt apply.

I now volunteer in PG county, MD and run with the only fire station in that county that doesn't have an engine, (tiller) truck & squad only. There seems to be a tendency (not always, mind you) for engine and truck company firefighter to revert to the 'engine' mindset when they are due with the truck, especially if they are not the first due special service. As often as not, ours are the only ground ladders hitting the wall.

It occurs to me, that PG county (and probably many other counties) already run a 'two piece quint' concept...47 some stations, about half are engine only, a few big houses, one truck & squad, and the rest are engine & truck. Nearest station is due with an engine, next with a truck, and so on (ETETEE). This can and is modified by what is avaliable on the air, also companies may 'double pull' if they have the staffing (i.e. due with engine and bring truck & engine, or come wagon/pumper) sometimes we end up with a lot of rolling iron on the road, sometimes we dont.

Sean

Thread Information