REBEL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default LIGHTBAR SIZE

WHAT IS THE CONSENSUS AS TO THE MOST EFFECTIVE LIGHTBAR WIDTH FOR A 96" tRUCK CAB?,I.E.52,65,72,80 INCHES?

------------------

boog8591
    Firehouse.com Guest

As far as most effective, I would have to say that the more light you can get, the more effective. I tend to like multiple lightbars on a roof. For an example, 3 half bars, one in the middle of the roof and one on each side on a 45 degree angle. Another favorite of mine is a 48 inch lightbar centered on the roof with a half bar at a 90 degree angle on each side of the main lightbar set slightbly back from the front. Both of these options give you both a significant amount of light to the front as well as additional warning to the sides for intersections.

nbfd131
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with Boog. The more lights the better. Just stay away from them darn stobes. We have them on 4 of our 6 engines and they really don't do anything for you during the day and at night, they just turn people into zombies. Personally I like the Federal Vector lightbars (great 45 degree agnel lighting) and bars like the MX7000 from Code three. Our two other engines have Federal bars just like the LAPD uses on their older cars except they are all rotators and 2 osilators in the middle.

I'd have to lean towards several shorter bars, like boog8591. I also once saw an engine that had an Edge mounted above the window but below the roof, like on the front face of an ambulance box. Go with several levels: roof, mid (to get in people's rear-view mirrors), and bumper. Have up to 1/2 white if you can, and mix colors as well as strobe and halogen.

While your at it, don't short change the rear of the engine or truck, either. Consider carefully what your response needs are. Do you do mostly residential (not too many high traffic roads) or do you get on highways a lot? If the latter, load up the rear, including some sort of arrow stick. If lots of hills, take the lead from Colorado: I've heard some of their emergency vehicles have warning lights on telescoping poles so that if they are in a low spot, they can raise the lights to be seen sooner.

fireprez
    Firehouse.com Guest

I too agree with the above regarding several lightbars. The strobes are worthless especially in direct sunlight. That idea of putting lights on a telescoping pole for visibility over a hill is fantastic! We have a few hills as well has major highways where that would really work great!

Thanks!

Thread Information