Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    wrjfd59
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Air Conditioning and NFPA

I am invovled in a truck committee that is going to provide specs for a new rescue pumper/rescue, we wanted to provide ac in the crew cab to use for rehab, one member of this committee has said that NFPA and OSHA regulations do not recomend ac on fire trucks. and also that it is not good for the firefighters health due to causing possable fluid in the lungs! if anyone has any info on ac in fire trucks it would be a great help. Thank you

K A
    Firehouse.com Guest

Early on in your career you wan't to learn the line, "where is your proof?" If someone makes a statement they should be able to provide proof in writting. If not ignore the statement.

If he is correct then almost all the manufacturers are knowingly breaking federal and state law and not following the concensus standard that a majority of them helped write.

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Never heard of any law or fluid problems. We've had AC in our Engine since 1993 with no problems. It is excellent for rehab and for keeping members "fresh" prior to arriving in high heat/humidity conditions such as we have in Virginia.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

KA is right, get the proof from whoever this guy is (then share it with us). If it were true, the EPA or some other government agency would have outlawed A/C long ago.

They are great for rehab.

Ricky Bodin
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ask him for the proof! If you are in a region that is hot and humid like we are (upper 90's w/ 80 to 90% humidity is common) you would be crazy not to spend the extra few hundred dollars for the a/c. In the department that i work for we have three enclosed cab trucks, the first which has no a/c was bought by an old chief that would still have us riding on the tailboard if there were no laws against that. The next two were spec'd by the engine crews a few years later, and of course has a/c. These trucks did not cost any more than the other one and the guys almost fight to ride these two.

friday
    Firehouse.com Guest

Horse Radishes wrjfd59! Not only is a/c not bad for firefighters, it helps keep your men from getting too hot in the summer months, unless you're not bunkering out on the way. Demand to see any rules supporting this nonsense.

wofd1
    Firehouse.com Guest

The A/C is worth putting on engines. My question is for discussion, would you want your rehab that close to the scene?

FJSpinelli
    Firehouse.com Guest

My career department just ordered (2) new engines with AC - front and rear (crew area). We spend most of the day tour in our rigs doing inspections and so on. Our current vehicles bake our brains out, then just for fun, we put on our snow suits to respond to a run. Not a nice picture. Your truck committee member is talking out of a certain piece of his anatomy. OSHA and the NFPA would have never passed such a regulation/standard without a big fight from the people who operate the vehicles. Air conditioning is an important part of todays emergency vehicle.

JRESCUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would reccomend the AC. It works great for a rehab because it's right there. You don't have to get another piece of equipment that way. It's also great for the ride back to the Fire station. The people that are making those statements are not the wokers in this biz! So just tell them to blow there smoke somewhere else we already get enough!

Inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I look at the NFPA as guidelines, not rules to live by. Do you have every single piece of equipment on your truck that they want you to? It is very hard for a department to be 100% NFPA compliant. I'm not saying that it is impossible for a dept. to be NFPA compliant but it is very difficult.

cruiser
    Firehouse.com Guest

I personally would recommend getting the a/c, it is well worth the investment. I know we are currently working on specs for a new rescue and it will definitely have a/c. I have not heard or seen anything from the NFPA or OSHA about recommendations on a/c. However, In the Emergency Incident Rehabilitation booklet published by the USFA, "Members should not be moved from a hot environment directly into an air conditioned area because the body's cooling system can shut down in response to the external cooling. An air conditioned environment is acceptable after a cool-down period at ambient temperature with sufficient air movement." Good luck with your new truck.

captlen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Let me take a guess, is the member of your committee making the negative statement about ac on apparatus a commissioner or boss. Sound to me that he just not want to spend the money on that item. Sounds very old school. I would also agree with the others that this statement needs to be backed up with proof. As for my own experince, my dept. has two apparatus with ac. we love it and thing it very beneficial to the health and safety of our members. I think it's a must and I would get it.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Do your chiefs'cars and big brother politicos have A/C in their vehicles?

If public money bought them A/C, then why can the gripe about it in an engine?

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My experience has been when the A/C works, it's great!

(SARCASM ALERT!!)
    I have an answer to the alleged rules:
    If in fact rules like that DO exist, we should retrofit ALL 4 door trucks with the ability to take the top off, like a hard-topped convertible. See how they react to that!

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

Truckie from Missouri -

Do you have a KME too?

Thread Information