Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    KNOBMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default PORTABLE FOAM PACKS

DOES ANYONE USE THOSE PORTABLE FOAM BACKS THAT ARE ON THE MARKET NOW?
    ARE THEY WORTH IT? I WAS ALWAYS TOUGHT IF YOU DIN'T HAVE ENOUGH FOAM FOR A OPERATION THAN DON'T USE IT. I HAVE SEEN THEM IN MAGAZINES BUT HAVE NEVER USED THEM. IN THE MAGAZINE, THEY USE THEM FOR AUTO FIRE AND DUMPSTERS( JUNK RUNS ) BUT IS IT REALLY WORTH THE TIME AND HASSLE? ANYONE WITH COMMENTS PLEASE FILL ME IN. THANKS. KM

------------------

UNION AND PROUD OF IT!

[This message has been edited by KNOBMAN (edited July 03, 1999).]

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the Pro Pak and it works fine. On the first due engines with a mutli purpose foam. We just swap it out with the red line nozzle as needed and on the brush rigs, we use Class A foam.

We've got no complaints and it's a lot easier to set up than a big foam operation for samll tasks.

STA2
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with Cook. We just got pricing on them and they came in at $765.00 each. We tested one and it works good for incidents where there is NO fire. Small spills and leaks like around gas pumps, in ditches and at motor vehicle accidents. Easily attaches to the booster line and is simple to use. Just my thoughts. Be safe.

Larry

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

We got 3 for about $600.00 each.

wofd1
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have used TFT pro-pak for 2 yrs now with class "a" foam and it works great on our brush/ utility truck. There would not be enough "b" foam in pak to do anything more than maybe a 1 gallon spill of gas? The pak is extremely easy to set-up, operate. Order it with the optional 25' discharge hose, if you carry it on your side with 1" forestry hose the weight tips the unit down far enough that it loses foam pick-up. Also it does NOT require inlet pressure of 200 lbs. like inline eductors. It will work fine at 60 lbs pump pressure. Good luck and be safe!

raricciuti
    Firehouse.com Guest

We bought a Pro-Pak and filled it with 1% Class B foam for use on our rescue (250 gpm pump and 200 of water). It makes great foam for use at accidents with fuel spills - we had an overturn w/entrapment and gasoline leaking recently and it worked great. I don't think it would be a good first choice for a flammable liquid fire (I'd rather have a 100+ gpm foam line and a lot more water), but everything has it's niche. It's quick, easy to use, and makes great foam in moderate quantities.

------------------
    R.A. Ricciuti, Firefighter
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

Thread Information