ltdrac
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Station Exauhst Systems Frying Turbochargers?

Fact or Fiction, Could A Fire station vehicle Exauhst system draw enough Air Through A Turbocharged motor, That over time it could fry the turbo's Bearing"s"?
    The vehicle in Question Is a ladder truck that does not run as much as the engine, and command vehicle,in the same station, but the exauhst system runs for all three when any one is started

T.D / 1122
    Firehouse.com Guest

That would have to be one heck of a strong exhaust set up!.. To keep it simple.. any time the turbo spins with the engine not running giving it the lubrication(oil) it needs then damage is done! May not be much.. just depends on how fast, and how long!.. Ever seen heavy equipment being hauled down the road with tape around the top of the exhaust stack?.. It for that very reason.. to prevent needless turbo damage. My suggestion would be to take the boot loose from the turbo and see if it spins when the system is running!!... I'll quit rambling now!!

raricciuti
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question: How could an exhaust system or air rushing past an exhaust stack spin a turbo? In order for it to spin, wouldn't the other end of the turbo have to be open to the atmosphere also so that air could pass through? Since it's connected to the intake, it is essentially capped off if the engine isn't running, correct?

------------------
    R.A. Ricciuti, Firefighter
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

lyncourtfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Although I don't have the specific details, your right, the system can damage the trucks. We went with the Neiderman System. If it's good enough for all of the fire stations for FDNY, then it's good enough for us!

TRUCK 110
    Firehouse.com Guest

FDNY was the First to experience the problem, per the Rumor Mill. Seems that Niedermann was the Culprit. It has been rectified, but it does raise a good Question, since all of the apparatus is hooked to the same system. It would seem in this day and age that individual activated drops would be in order...We have Ply-Mo Vent..We have not had the problem yet..This is not a Commercial for them..

Thanks for the Post..Be Safe..

------------------

Firehouse.com Guest

Going to have to go with RAR on this one. Assuming that intake and exhaust systems are intact, it would take more suction that is possible to even turn the turbo, much less damage it.

Remember, wheither drafting water, or an station exhaust system that is 100% efficient will only produce a -14PSI of suction, that is unless your station is preasurized to something greater than normal atmospheric pressure.

toughmack
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have heard of ceiling mounted heaters
    blowing directly into a vertical exhaust
    causing the turbo to spin. But I have
    not heard of any instances in which the
    vacuum from an in station exhaust system
    caused a turbo to spin.

2ND STORY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Yes, this is absolutely true, possibly an overlooked glitch. The turbo certainly does spin on our Detroits outfitted with the Nederman exhaust system. This leads to early turbo bearing failure. I have seen it with my own eyes, it happens.

Thread Information