Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Capt2405
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Inductive Transmission Retarders

My fire department is getting ready to buy a new quint with a transmission retarder. Does anyone have experience with electronic/eddy current transmission retarders and/or the internal hydraulic retarders that are available in the Allison Transmissions? Any guidence is greatly appreciated.

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Captain,

As I understand the hydraulic retarder, it reverses the flow of the transmission fluid to provide the retardation. My experience is they work, and work well.

We have one on our E-One pumper..it's the hydraulic style you mentioned. Also had two pumpers on my previous FD. They had 25% activation when the accelerator was released, then gradually increased as the brakes were applied. The E-One where I currently work is activated wholly when the brakes are applied. The harder the brake pedal is pushed, the higher the percentage of retardation. This, I feel, is more beneficial, as this allows the driver to romove his foot w/o activating the retarder.

A neighboring FD recently received 30 or so pumpers with the hydraulic retarders. They were set @ 25% activation when the accelerator was released. They found that they were ruining their transmissions because of this and had the repairs done and switched them to brake pedal activation only.

I think your FD will make a good investment with one of these devices. Good luck!

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

Drive P17B
    Firehouse.com Guest

Watch out for overheating problems with the Tranny retarder. We have problems with it on out E-One 95' platform

Thread Information