Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question New Task Force Tips Spanner Wrench Good?

I need a new pocket size spanner wrench and I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to field test this new Task Force Tips spanner wrench. I might buy one. It looks like it might come in handy with a gas meter shut off device, seat belt cutting slot, spanner wrench and looks like a wedge design for something. IF you have any info on this Id like to know. Its priced reasonably at $24.95. or is that expensive for a spanner.

------------------
    The Snake Man!
    Keep it above the water line!

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

We tried it, the gas shut-off hole is too small for all of the gas meters we tried it on (both industrial and residential and painted and unpainted). The hole needs to be about 1/8" bigger in length and width.

Other than that, seemed like a good tool. If it would fit the gas meters, we'd buy it.

JRESCUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Five us on our dept. bought them,and we really like them. The pin punch works great! The spanner works really good with 5" storz fittings. The seat belt cutter cuts great. It also works really good as a door wedge. We are looking at getting more of them. It's better to have two of them. They are also light weight, and don't weigh you down when you keep them in your pockets. I would recommend two for each Firefighter to keep on them!

------------------
    Buckle-Up and Stay Safe!!

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have one, it has worked good for me. I was alittle wary about it being plastic, but it has held up well. Ditto on the Gas shut-off remark, but I carry a pair of water-pump pliers for that.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have one too.....haven't used it a lot, but I've found that the plastic handle "twists" too much when used on tight couplings. The "back" of the wrench also seems to flex up a little and slip off the coupling rocker lugs.

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

I got one for christmas, haven't really used it--my company doesn't have an engine. It breaks glass great, and cuts seatbelts well, which is why I bought it. I havent tried the gas **** yet. The wrench itself works on the storz and 2 1/2" couplings well enough, but seemed to want to slip off of the 1 1/2" coupling. Also breaking glass seems to chew it up a little, but it's only cosmetic.

P.P.
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been using one for several months now. It works well for breaking glass, you just barely need tap it. I have not had a chance to use it on a gas shut-off. It is very light weight, but is a little big. I would recommend the use of it.

P.P.

Stay Safe!

P.P.
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been using one for several months now. It works well for breaking glass, you just barely need tap it. I have not had a chance to use it on a gas shut-off. It is very light weight, but is a little big. I would recommend the use of it.

P.P.

Stay Safe!

LHS
    Firehouse.com Guest

The gas shut off hole works fine on most valves. The spanner end works perfectly on oversized gas valves.

Squad33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I just got mine a few minutes ago and was doing a little refresher on all its capabilities. I can't wait to try this new toy out on the fire ground. It seems to be built well enough for what it is. I used the pry bar to lift up my wifes chair at her desk. Worked great, not a whole lot of flexion. I hope to use all of its functions at a vehicle fire training this weekend.

Be Safe, Use ALL your PPE. It will save us!
    Steve

Tim Schaffner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mine is working great. Point works great on car glass, then use it to rake glass out. seat belt cutter is good. I took dremial tool and adjusted the gas shutoff to fit. Spanner works ok. Only questions left are its prying ability and durability????

Remember: Never go anywhere without your
    TOOL!!!!!!!
    Toolman!

Thread Information